Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stucco joints - best practice

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Stucco joints - best practice

The quick answer is a Model Line, on a Lines subcategory of Stucco Control joint or the like. This will track with the wall, and the ends can be locked to perpendicular walls, etc. And it can be in a Design Option while the wall is in the main model.

The more complex answer is a 2 point, wall hosted family. Now I can schedule and total the joints, as well as control it graphically, and even turn it off. But being wall hosted means I can't have the control joints in a Design Option and the wall in the main model, correct? I suspect I will need at least two or three Design options for a while, and the walls themselves will be changing while the jointing is played with, so having three copies of the entire building skin just to play with control joints won't work.

The most complex answer of course is a swept reveal, which offers niceties like breaking at a door and such, but this is a site with 8 buildings, upwards of 50 exterior doors and windows on each building, and control joints at every fenestration corner. We could be talking hundreds of reveals per building, all brought together in a single site model for presentation. Ugh! And again, no Design Options without the wall also being in the option. Correct?

So, are my Design Option assumptions correct? This seems like a bug to me, or at least a failure of Revit to "Work like architects think", and also a suggestion that Model lines are the only option until the design settles down. Anyone have any thoughts or comments? Anyone been down this road?

Thanks,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Stucco joints - best practice

Are you sure a wall reveal can't be added to a design option? I would think that it could be...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Are you sure a wall reveal can't be added to a design option? I would think that it could be...
    As Revit says, "A sweep in a design option cannot be hosted by an element in the Main Model.". So you are stuck duplicating the entire exterior skin, with all the doors and windows, to explore how the stucco is broken up. Ick!

Gordon

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ive had trouble with that aspect of Design Options as well... And when i posted about it, everyone said i was crazy. So.... youre crazy.

Line Based wont cut at fenestration... Wall Hosted will require the Walls in the option...

Ugh, for now i guess id go with model lines too.

Login to Give a bone

Model lines will look fine and work fine in every case except for rendering, or if you need the reveals to show up in a large scale wall section. But hopefully you'll have the joints in their final location before you start doing large-scale detail sections.

Login to Give a bone

I've found adding lines to my window and door families actually works well. I make them stretchable and visiblity off and on so I can show them or not.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sccbrown View Post
    I've found adding lines to my window and door families actually works well. I make them stretchable and visiblity off and on so I can show them or not.
    He needs the reveals to be part of design options, so he would still have to include the windows in the design option (if they're not already) to make that work.

Login to Give a bone

Yep, the windows would have to be design options. Design options are tough. We have a condo project that the diff. between two building types is all the molding profiles, all the door styles and trims. We have had to make it 2 sep buildings because you would have a nightmare with duplicating all the walls to have the multiple types of doors and trims.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Here's a family I use when this need arises. It is a face based joint. Place it (sometimes you have to place it in a 3d view then move it in plan/elevation). You can vary width, depth and drag the length. It was an family created to answer a specific problem, but it works fine both in floors and walls. Renders well. Probably too simple for your complex situation though.

Login to Give a bone

Generally, if they are not to be rendered, it is prudent to have a line, rather than a reveal or special family...I've used both, but the actual reveal only when I needed to render the project (if I didn't add them later in photoshop

I would suggest though to create a line, in a Line based family (Start from a generic model line based template, and just add a model line (of the "Stucco Joint", or CJ object style)...
    Then you would add it like SkiSouth's component (which works great, and have used it on my projects...thanks Ski) but it would be much lighter than the actual reveal, and it will be schedulable (is that a word?)

Hopefully this helps,

Luigi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast