See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UCS and Data Extraction

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: UCS and Data Extraction

This is a good example of why I don't like to deviate from the WCS. If I need the view rotated, I use DView/Twist. It rotates the view and still maintains real world coordinates.

I'm attaching the lisp routine that I use to make this easier. And as part of it's task, it changes ortho snap angle so that it's orthogonal to the view.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Converting WCS X&Y values to UCS X&Y for exporting to another program (Revit)

untested..... and assuming you need a planar transformation (since you specified keeping Z intact

dump all your coordinates to a csv format, and open in the spreadsheet of your choice. use a formula to add/subtract the differences from the X value and Y value columns needed to meet the target coordinate system,

copy and paste your new Xmodified, Ymodified, and Zunmodified columns to a new spreadsheet and export to the csv format.

import those point values to your destination program.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

i am in a similar situation. I am an experienced revit user, but an AutoCAD novice. I'm trying to use a published coordinate as my drafting origin in AutoCAD but it is not working, or I don't understand how it is working. I open autocad, define the Revit UCS, but all drafting continues to originate from the default WCS 0,0. Been trying to figure this out for a few hours.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by syew View Post
    In my office we use 3 method to obtain X & Y coordinate.

1. World coordinate - based on AutoCAD world coordinate system
    2. User coordinate - based on user UCS point (will not work with XREF)
    3. Object coordinate - based on block insertion and you can freely move the block point.

The best method to set your own local coordinate is to use the Object coordinate. See the attached file.
    Thank you for the file! That's just what I was looking for. Could you please explain how it works? Until I saw this, I thought I was very good at making dynamic blocks, but when I tried to duplicate your block using attributes and fields I could only get World-UCS coordinates to show. Also, how do I change the units display? I need architectural units instead of decimal.

Thank you in advance...

Rob

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tiger4956365264 View Post
    Thank you for the file! That's just what I was looking for. Could you please explain how it works? Until I saw this, I thought I was very good at making dynamic blocks, but when I tried to duplicate your block using attributes and fields I could only get World-UCS coordinates to show. Also, how do I change the units display? I need architectural units instead of decimal.

Thank you in advance...

Rob
    It is actually quite beautiful. To see the differences in the attribute definitions double-click on the block in each of its three visibility states. In the Enhanced Attribute Editor, right-click on the greyed out field in the "Value" text box and choose "Edit field...".

When the visibility state is set to "WCS Coordinate", you'll see what you'll expect: the field returns the X-component of the position of the block object, i.e. the insertion point of the block itself. This is how I have been using similar blocks for years.

Now comes the clever bit: When the visibility state is set to "UCS Coordinate", the position is derived from a formula consisting of the position in the WCS (so far so familiar) PLUS the value of the INSBASE system variable, which, to quote the Autocad help file "stores the insertion base point set by BASE, which gets expressed as a UCS coordinate for the current space". (Again, in the formula dialog box, right-click on the greyed out fields and choose "Edit field..." for both fields, left and right of the plus sign).
    This makes the block return its insertion point in the UCS that was active at the time the block was inserted. Subsequent changes of the UCS do not seem to affect the block's value.

Last, when you use the visibility state "Block coordinate", the coordinates returned reflect the distance of the "position" grip relative to the block insertion point in the WCS.

To change the unit display, open the "Edit field..." dialog and choose whichever coordinate system you need in the "Format" list, which by default is "Decimal". Do that for all three coordinates.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi

I thought of some thing like this and get it from here. But I want to know how we made it. Please explain if possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12