See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: where did acaddoc.lsp go?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default where did acaddoc.lsp go?

i'm using 2009 and have had to do a fresh install after our IT guys swapped out our servers and screwed up all of our settings. Have to rebuild everything now. From what I've been reading...acad2009doc.lsp is NOT to be touched and I cannot locate the old user file, acaddoc.lsp. So what file can be added to? I'm wanting to load several routines upon startup and when drawings are opened.

Also, should these files be changed under C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autocad 2009 or should they be done under C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2009\R17.2\enu\Support ???

Need some help here with all of this. Also read something about an enterprise cui file and office file. We only have two users, but we don't want to have to go thru all of this again.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: where did acaddoc.lsp go?

If the file has a number in it (e.g. acad2009doc.lsp, acad2009.lsp), then it is provided by adesk and should not be modified (that is, if you don't want to loose your changes!). Otherwise, you have to create acad.lsp and acaddoc.lsp. They should go in the user's files, not program files. They can be anywhere as long as you have that folder in the support files search path. As to finding the old one, you should have backed it up before the maintenance. Do a seach on your pc to see if the old one is still there.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

ACADDOC.lsp is a user maintained file, which if not present, you can create it (it's just a .lsp file). Be sure that it resides in a directory that is included in your support path (toward the top?).

To make your customizations more portable (and easily backed up), create a "Custom" CUI file and store all of your custom toolbars, etc. there, loaded as a partial, and included in your workspace. That way... God forbid your IT guys strike again, you always have your (backed up) CUI file.

My company presently uses a networked server which holds all of our customizations (CUI, LSP, SCR, etc.), so that we may login on any machine (in any office, I believe?) and all of our personal settings are automatically available. Laptops, just require a quick network update before travel.

Good luck!
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Yep - what Ed and Renderman said.

I would suggest going one step further and creating your own directory (like "C:\CADSTUFF") and putting your custom files in there, including "acaddoc.lsp", "acad.lsp", etc. Then add this new path to the top of your support file search path.

This serves several purposes, among them...
    1) You don't have to search/guess which one of those long, deep paths hold the files you want it to read - and it's O/S independent.
    2) Your custom stuff stays separate, so you can easily see what is custom.
    3) You can easily copy or move your custom files to a new or different machine (see #2)
    4) If you create a custom file that is duplicated by AutoCAD ("acad.pgp" for example), yours will load and the other ignored since yours is at the top of the SFSP.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    I would suggest going one step further and creating your own directory (like "C:\CADSTUFF") and putting your custom files in there, including "acaddoc.lsp", "acad.lsp", etc. Then add this new path to the top of your support file search path.
    This is what I was hinting at. Thanks for spelling it out.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Yep - what Ed and Renderman said.

I agree with RK, I recently posted similar advice here (Post #19): http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...OUP-etc./page2
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    ... As to finding the old one, you should have backed it up before the maintenance. Do a seach on your pc to see if the old one is still there.
    Would have been nice if they had told us in the first place they were gonna do what they did, but they didn't. Then yea, i could have backed everything up.

another post i made on the subject. http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=123685

as far as finding the old one...well....since my windows profile got totally screwed, everything was lost and i do mean everything! i lost all kinds of personal stuff.

Thanks everyone for the help. Gonna take me some time redoing everything. Still don't know about this enterprise cui file, but i'll figure it out.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cwjean76 View Post
    Still don't know about this enterprise cui file, but i'll figure it out.
    "Simple" really. It's a normal CUI you create as you'd have done any other partial CUI (i.e. one you'd load alongside acad's default). You then save it to a shared network folder and set each PC to use it as an enterprise CUI (through Options on the files tab). That way everyone's using the same CUI, but they can't (easily) edit it ... only the single person who's got it loaded as a normal partial can edit ... and his edits will reflect throughout once the other PC's have started acad again (or even just opened another DWG).