Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand & Sand - Dense as PAT files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Sand & Sand - Dense as PAT files

Anyone know of a way to extract the built in patterns? I want to scale the Sand pattern up and add a 24" grid to make a pattern for Carpet Tiles. But the closest thing I can find in a PAT file is AR-SAND, which isn't at all what I am looking for.

Thanks!
    Gordon

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sand & Sand - Dense as PAT files

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit MEP 2011\Data\revit.pat or revit metric.pat
    You can open them in notepad and modify.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit MEP 2011\Data\revit.pat or revit metric.pat
    You can open them in notepad and modify.
    Woot, thanks! Now I seem to remember that things changed from hard wired to a file at some point. Mind like a steel sieve, that's me!

Gordon

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon.Price View Post
    Woot, thanks! Now I seem to remember that things changed from hard wired to a file at some point. Mind like a steel sieve, that's me!

Gordon
    Keep in mind... Sand is usually a draftng pattern. If you want a 24x24, its got to be a mdel pattern. You can still copy and paste sand to the end of it, but itll be HELLISHLY dense.

Here is what i do:

I copy and paste the Sand pattern in to excel (tab delimited), and then i use a formula to scale it up to various amounts. (having tick marks go from 1/16" on PAPER, to 1/16" on paper through a model (3") is s scale up of roughly 50.

Then, since i took it out of notepad, i lost the commas. So i run a "concatenate(Cell,",") to get the commas back, and i copy > Paste special > Values.

I paste THAT below my 24x24 model pattern, and its a model pattern of tile and sand. Its also great, cuz then ill do one with a scale fact of 100, and another at 25... So i can show different tiles with different "densities" of model pattern sand.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Aaron,
    I have a slightly different approach to scaling up drafting patterns.

Rename the PAT file and add .CSV to the end.
    Open directly in Excel
    Copy/Past all the numbers you need to revise lower in the worksheet
    Replace the cells you need with formulas. For example A3=A9*24.
    Save the file. Because it is a CSV the formulas don't survive the save, just the values.
    Rename and remove the .CSV
    Open in NotePad and delete the extra numbers that drove the formulas, and some extraneous commas.

Done.

Sounds like we are doing similar things. I now have matching patterns for roll carpet and carpet tiles, with the tiles lines shown appropriately (and easy to revise for different manufacturer's tile size). Then I did the same thing at a higher density for carpet based entry mats. The goal being that all materials have hatches that look "realistic" enough to not take away from a 3D view, and still communicate in a finish plan. We work in color for the different material variations, and only add the Filled Region based type embellishments very late. And we can plot a color finish plan for the job trailer, Estimator, etc.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Wow, awesome! I didnt know .pat's and .csv's would do that.

By Filled Region type embellishments, do you mean the drafting-pattern-mod that were talking about? Since youre well versed in mixing the patterns and densities at scales, i dont see why you would need actual filled regions at all...

WEre getting some municipalities REQUESTING color for some stuff now, which is great.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    By Filled Region type embellishments, do you mean the drafting-pattern-mod that were talking about? Since youre well versed in mixing the patterns and densities at scales, i dont see why you would need actual filled regions at all...
    I do it as embellishments because having some diagonal pattern over the top of carpet looks bad in 3D, and we are finding we do a LOT of 3D views now. And a lot more color stuff now. So while we still need that 2D embellishment to finish the CD set, it has become less important, and happens later in the process (80% CDs or later is my preference, when we can get a cost consultant who will use the color drawing for pricing). Eventually it will go away, but for now the materials inherently work for everything but the B&W 19th century tech CD drawings.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

LOL... fair enough.

How much heaven would it be if we could change Material patterns based on something like view LOD? Hahahaha.....

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    LOL... fair enough.

How much heaven would it be if we could change Material patterns based on something like view LOD? Hahahaha.....
    Or have a new variable so we can define how a material looks in Presentation, Render or Documents. The Render is what we have now, Presentation allows a model pattern to be applied, and Documents allows a second drafting pattern to be overlaid on top. Make a view Documents and there you go.

Yeah, been posting that as a wishlist items for years.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Im totally with you. Our "Level of Detail" is OKAY at best, but i have to admit i like ACA's better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast