Thread: Remove data from parameter in schedule

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Remove data from parameter in schedule

I have some mechanical equipment (with shared parameters). If the parameter has a value then I cant remove the value.

For example, if I need to have a blank cell for a fluid temperature that currently has 23 degrees within it because I am no longer sure of the value, I select the value in the cell and press the delete key, the value dissapears, however when I click the next cell I get the error:

Enter a value or a formula starting with '='.

Can anyone help me get the cell blank? I cant put 0 as this is a value, and it wont accept a space...

Thanks

Drew

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Remove data from parameter in schedule

Sounds like the family has that value "hard coded" in the formula cell.
    If you want to be able to change that - leave the formula cell blank in the Family Types dialog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

It sounds more like the parameter is defined as of type Piping / Temperature, which has an internal storage type of a numeric value.

I think you MUST have some kind of number for parameters like that. There's no way to specify "I don't have a value" (null) for those kinds of parameters. Text parameters are the only type I can think of that allow you to do that.

About all I could suggest is to hide (or delete) the entire column in the schedule definition.

Another alternative if it needs to be handled only for specific instances (rows) in the schedule might be to enter a totally unrealistic/impossible number, like Absolute Zero (-459.67 °F) and intend for the reader to understand that to mean you don't have a value.

Login to Give a bone

It sounds more like the parameter is defined as of type Piping / Temperature, which has an internal storage type of a numeric value.
    Yep - I forgot about certain parameter types requiring a given unit (and therefore not accepting a blank value). I've replaced some of those with text parameters (which do allow blanks). Others I've done as David suggested and place the value at 10,000°F or so - just to make it obvious.

If the value were "hard coded" in the formula cell, it would be greyed out in the project.

Login to Give a bone

Your project may be well past but you could also apply conditional formatting in the schedule properties under the formatting tab. Click on the field that you want to apply the formatting, select the conditional format button, select the test criteria (ie. Temperature Equal to 0.0) and set the background color to black. It's kind of limited to the formatting options in that it only allows you to change background color but this would let you black out the cells where you don't want to have a value. (REVIT MEP 2011)