Thread: What's the purpose of a Match Line?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default What's the purpose of a Match Line?

I understand dependent views to get parts of a larger plan or elevation to fit on a sheet but I don't understand the workings of Match Line. It seems that it should be more than just annotative. Not much information can be found on what it does

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What's the purpose of a Match Line?

The purpose is: To provide a reference to another sheet where the plan continues. In the illustration provided, there is a long building that fits on a sheet at 1/16"=1'-0". Therefore, to show this building at 1/4"=1'-0" we have to break it in 3 or 4 parts; in each of those parts, we need to include match lines with references to other sheets.

The workflow is: From an overall plan, create dependent views. In the overall plan, trace your matchlines with View > Matchline > sketch; then Annotate > View reference > add the reference. Then select each reference > from properties, assign Target view. The references will be complete once the dependent views have been placed on sheets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alfredo medina; 2010-10-02 at 01:50 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    The purpose is to provide a reference to another sheet where the plan continues. In the illustration provided, there is long building that fits only in 1/16"=1'-0". Therefore, to show this building at 1/4"=1'-0" we have to break it in 3 parts. In each of those parts, we need to include match lines with references to other sheets,.
    so then it is just annotative? It doesn't control any of the model entities or do anything but provide a dotted line that has to have text added to indicate what went where ?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones DDP View Post
    so then it is just annotative? It doesn't control any of the model entities or do anything but provide a dotted line that has to have text added to indicate what went where ?
    No, it does not control any model entities. A matchline is just a reference, an annotation.
    Last edited by alfredo medina; 2010-10-02 at 01:42 AM.

Login to Give a bone

No, it does not control any model entities. A matchline is just a reference, an annotation.
    thanks Alf, that's what I thought. In my case I have a column line in the middle of an elevation to use as a match line

Login to Give a bone

I'm completely befuddled by the Match Line as well... it's a very poorly implemented "feature"... it's as though the designer of this feature had absolutely no idea what the point was.

In Alfredo's example, what I want is for the match lines to be on the 1/16" inch plan and on the 1/4" plans with a reference at the end of the match lines that indicates the reference number and sheet. If I move the match line on any of the plans, it should move automatically on all corresponding plans.

If I'm missing something, please enlighten me!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by iru69 View Post
    I'm completely befuddled by the Match Line as well... it's a very poorly implemented "feature"... it's as though the designer of this feature had absolutely no idea what the point was...
    I agree with you. For some strange reason, we can´t have in Revit an overall plan at 1/16" with the match lines, and still have the 1/4" plans show the same match lines. We can't have the parent view and the dependent views have different scales. This has been discussed here in a previous thread.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I agree with you. For some strange reason, we can´t have in Revit an overall plan at 1/16" with the match lines, and still have the 1/4" plans show the same match lines. We can't have the parent view and the dependent views have different scales. This has been discussed here in a previous thread.
    The match line problem is completely independant of the dependant view and parent view scale settings, which makes perfect sense, considering all annotations change relative size compared to the model. If a parent view was at a different scale, it would look rediculous with annotations on it, and be worthless.

That said, a MODEL LINE shows up in views regardless of scale. All a Matchline is, is a LINE with a half of a sketch mode, in that... it locks itself. The View Reference tool is ALMOST worthless too. All it is, is "Reference Other View" without a callout bubble. What the heck, it shouldnt need me to TELL IT what views are where.

My PERSONAL opinion about how it should work:

Once Dependants are made from a parent, a "Model line-esque Matchline" should AUTOMATICALLY place itself around the ENTIRE CROP REGION of the dependant view, and view references should appear around those matchlines, in every intersecting view.

If we WANT to hide callouts / view references / matchlines / etc, we have Filters.

Login to Give a bone

Model lines are obscured by model objects above it, though, so we don't want the match line to be a model line.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

True. Let me try again. Symbolic lines in Model Families. LOL... The point is, even the CURRENT match line has THAT issue worked out, and the model-esque ness of Model Lines have the capabilities to stay coordinated across views.

In theory (i know, right?) it shouldnt be extremely hard to implement.