Thread: Why are simple stairs not simple?

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Why are simple stairs not simple?

I feel that the Revit stair tool needs a lot of work. It is a very complicated tool that seems like it could be simplified. We need to be able to create accuratly modeld stairs with landing, stringers, treads & risers shown properly. We do a lot of channel & HSS tube stringers. Why can't we place those profiles as a stringer versus a railing component? There doesn't seem to be enough control of the differnet variables that make up the geometry of the stairs. It seems to me that there may be a need for another stair component or tool that deals with typical single flight stairs and stair towers. Don't get me wrong, the stair tool allows for all kinds of cool designs, but it is so cumbersome to use and just seems excessice for standard stairs designs. What about the standard/run of the mill stairs? We are in the process of coming up with a work around to get the stairs shown correctly in plan view, section view & 3D views. It appears that we may have to lean on the Ole' trusty ACAD. This seems sad, since Revit is such a powerful modeling tool for building components.

Sorry folks for ranting like I have, but I am getting pressure from management and felt that something needed to be said.
    Last edited by tknapp; 2010-10-18 at 07:40 PM. Reason: changed title

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why are simple stairs not simple?

Try doing a search in the forum on stairs, you will find that you are certainly not alone in your frustration.
    I personally feel that the stair and railing tool is looooong overdue for fixing. I believe it has been on the wishlist for quite a while. But hey, on the bright side we have a nice new ribbon interface and can now create custom elevation markers.....eh...