Thread: detail rebar model to ifc

Login to Give a bone

Default detail rebar model to ifc

We have a detailed rebar model by our structural engineer and we would like to get that to our rebar fabricator who is using Tekla. The fabricator requested ifc format. The main structural elements do export. I changed the ifc export options to get the embeds, "structural connections" in the ifc export classes table previously designated not exported, to export. However, the similar change for structural rebar, setting the ifc class name to IfcBuildingElementProxy, does not export the rebar. Does anyone know how to get the structural rebar to export to ifc or is there a better file type to get the structural model from Revit to Tekla?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: detail rebar model to ifc

Ifcbuildingproxy is a terrible way to setup your schema avoid this at all costs.

I would use the ifcreinforcement schema option. I forget the exact name but check out the 2x3 schema and the name is there.

Have you checked that the rebar comes in in solibri?
    Also have you check that Tekla has the mapping standard to accept the reinforcement based on the same ifc schema name?

Login to Give a bone

I know ifcbuildingproxy is totally generic, but I was just trying to see if the rebar would export. It worked for the embeds (structural connections). I'll try naming it something else. Although, I can't understand how that would make a difference if it goes through or not.

I'll try downloading solibri viewer and see if rebar is visible in solibri. That is a good suggestion. Although I can see all other elements in navisworks I was thinking there could be an ifc setting in navisworks that is keeping the rebar from being visible that I am unaware of.

I've been sidetracked to another project so it will be a while until I can test with solibri. I'll post again if I can figure it out.

Thanks for the ideas.
    Last edited by gdb; 2010-11-03 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typo

Login to Give a bone

I just received information from a Tekla Q&A paper on Tekla interoperability with Revit that the rebar (and bolts) do not yet export from Revit. See attached file for details.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Well I don't know who wrote this paper but the information is incorrect.
    Both are definately possible and you can transfer tendons to from Revit for your post tensioning, as well as send it to Ifc. I am yet to see a post tensioned modelled slab in Tekla.

Would you like to see a screenshot of my Solibri model of my ifc Rebar and bolts from Revit?

Getting Rebar to IFC is no issue.
    Does Tekla have the capability to import this is the question you should be asking.
    Have you setup your mapping??
    Have you gotten the rebar out of Revit yet??

Login to Give a bone

Which IFC Class Name should be use? I tried different names from Building Smart IFC Class Names but no success.