Thread: Why does this slab edge offset prevent it from joining to a floor slab?

Login to Give a bone

Default Why does this slab edge offset prevent it from joining to a floor slab?

I have a floor slab with a slab edge for the thickened edge. At the doors the edge of slab offsets out, as does the profile sweep. I have another floor slab representing the granular fill below the slab on grade, but for some reason it doesn't want to join to the slab edge. Without the offset it joins fine. Anyone have an idea why?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Why does this slab edge offset prevent it from joining to a floor slab?

Try using a Pad for the granuar fill instead of a floor.

Don't know why the joins don't work at offsets?

cheers

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why does this slab edge offset prevent it from joining to a floor slab?

If I host the slab edge to the short edges of the offset in addition to the rest of the slab perimeter, so that it goes around the FULL perimeter of the slab sketch, then I can join the gravel fill floor slab to the concrete slab edge. Oddly enough, I cannot place the slab edge by simply tab-selecting all the edges of the concrete slab. It gives an error if I do it that way because of the short edges on the offset. But if I pick the short edges first, and then the rest of them, it works, and I can join the gravel fill layer.

Don't really want to use a pad because there is no toposurface in this project. Normally I do pads as the vapor between the slab and gravel fill layers. If I did the gravel fill as a pad, would it show up correctly behind the slab edge turndown, or can the pad be joined to the slab edge?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why does this slab edge offset prevent it from joining to a floor slab?

As I suspected, pads cannot join to slab edges, nor do they show up behind the slab edge in section. They overlap, which is why I normally do pads as a thin layer and turn them off in all section views.

The gravel layer must be a floor object to get it to show up correctly in sections.

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    As I suspected, pads cannot join to slab edges, nor do they show up behind the slab edge in section. They overlap, which is why I normally do pads as a thin layer and turn them off in all section views.

The gravel layer must be a floor object to get it to show up correctly in sections.
    One can get around this problem by inserting detail component/ filled region into slab edge , then it hides the pad and topography behind, but there are a lot of limitations to this approach:
    1. Need to use invisible lines for extent of slab edge against slab (which suddenly means you need a lot of different families)
    2. Need to use filled regions which mimic material of slab and change them if the slab material changes
    3. Hard to ensure lineweights match the slab (or whatever)

I setup the slab edges like this for a local firm a while ago, but since then have gone back to thin pads since even though it hides topography and pads, it gets too tricky to manage from a users point of view.