See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excel Sheets in CAD import Link to Revit

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Excel Sheets in CAD import Link to Revit

We are using Autocad files that have our excel schedules and linking them into Revit.
    It's not able to bring in the Excel files, has anyone have a solution?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Excel Sheets in CAD import Link to Revit

Are you setting them up as AutoCAD tables or OLE in AutoCAD?

Login to Give a bone

Unless something has changed since the 2009 version of Revit (the last version I tried to do this in) it isn't possible. You either have to move your schedules into revit (a lot of work), or else print that one sheet from CAD.

Login to Give a bone

We've been using XL2Cad to bring the schedules into an AutoCAD file, then linking the ACAD file into a drafting view in Revit. It works fairly well . . . I've heard that there's an XL2Revit version now, but I haven't tried it yet.

Login to Give a bone

Are we not defeating the purpose of Revit? There are work arounds sure, but, what
    are the standards? What information do we use from Autocad if we're
    producing Revit drawings. Are there "BIM" standards?

Login to Give a bone

Agreed. If you are going for a fully integrated BIM, you should be doing your schedules in Revit and tapping into the full potential of the program. However, for you're still fighting the learning curve and want to learn one thing at a time, schedules are a good choice of things to choose not to do in Revit, in my opinion.

Login to Give a bone

Not only is there the learning curve to deal with, we've found that there's considerable up-front work to get the schedules to show what we want to show. As of now, we finally have a usable light fixture schedule and air terminal schedule, which are now built into our template. Having worked out the kinks of getting these set up, I'm well on my way to getting most of the rest of our schedules set up, too.

The hard part was learning how shared parameters work . . . and how to manage them . . . deep waters, this.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDH View Post
    Not only is there the learning curve to deal with, we've found that there's considerable up-front work to get the schedules to show what we want to show. As of now, we finally have a usable light fixture schedule and air terminal schedule, which are now built into our template. Having worked out the kinks of getting these set up, I'm well on my way to getting most of the rest of our schedules set up, too.

The hard part was learning how shared parameters work . . . and how to manage them . . . deep waters, this.
    Oftentimes Excel is used simply as a text formatting tool. For instance the City of Chicago requires that a Code Matrix be included in permit drawings and the City even provides an excel template for this use. The matrix lists code topics, building code section, page number and you insert the data about how your project complies and where the compliant element is shown on the drawings. Many firms have a library of code matrix (es?)(ies?) for various occupancy class and construction types and you can copy and edit for your project. Its a huge time saver. Plus editing in excel in formats like this is very simple and fast with the excel drop down text option for repeated phrases.

For this purpose you don't need the intelligence of a schedule you simply need the image....but excel hates to print to an image file like jpeg and you can't easily convert pdf to jpeg and revit won't play nicely with pdf. Ive yet to figure out a simple way to do this in revit and instead have an autocad titleblock drawing with imported excel files in every chicago based revit project.

Login to Give a bone

First, I would like to wholeheartedly agree with thomasel98 about using schedules in Revit for the purpose of BIM. This is the most powerful part of the software. Once you get a handle on shared parameters and using them wisely schedules are not that tough and a very helpful design tool.

That being said, sometimes you just want text formatted in rows and columns...

If you want excel-like functionality with a schedule in Revit there is a nice little trick I picked up a while back. Make a schedule for a category you never use in an MEP model such as windows. I'll also add a filter that says something crazy such as "Comments = CRAZY" so that no line items actually show up. Hide the headers in the Appearance tab. You now have a blank schedule with just the title. Right click on the title "cell" and choose the Merge/Unmerge option. You now have completely independent cells that can be further divided, resized, columns added, lines added, fonts changed, etc. Make this part of your template so that it can just be duplicated for use as a basic schedule with dumb text.

Login to Give a bone

That is a brilliant idea, I'm stealing it immediately. Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast