Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Block with Attributes, CAN"T Stretch Attribute's Position

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Dynamic Block with Attributes, CAN"T Stretch Attribute's Position

Simple question and if it is a yes or no, so be it (being sarcastic because I can't find a clear answer anywhere).

Can I have a stretch action applied to a block that has an attribute? I want to be able to insert a block and move / stretch the attribute to a new location while keeping the block's insertion point in the original location.

NO - life moves on.

Yes - Please give me instructions!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block with Attributes, CAN"T Stretch Attribute's Position

you have to have the attribute's "locked" property checked so it can be affected by actions.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

no, sorry for being abrupt, but I checked that.
    So what you are telling me that it IS possible to dynamic stretch an attribute.
    Now unless of course AutoCAD still thinks internally it IS locked, you know how AutoCAD can assume something until you hit REGENALL. Can an "old" version of a CAD file that had the original attribute affect the outcome? I may need to rebuild the block from scratch in ver.2010

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by drafting.33933 View Post
    no, sorry for being abrupt, but I checked that.
    So what you are telling me that it IS possible to dynamic stretch an attribute.
    Now unless of course AutoCAD still thinks internally it IS locked, you know how AutoCAD can assume something until you hit REGENALL. Can an "old" version of a CAD file that had the original attribute affect the outcome? I may need to rebuild the block from scratch in ver.2010
    what do YOU mean by "stretch" when it comes to attributes? it can move if included in a stretch action, but it won't stretch like a line will. Can you post the block you're working on w/ descriptions on what you're trying to accomplish?

Sometimes, yes, it is better to re-create the attributes, but not always. if it's easy enough to do, then do it so you can eliminate that from your trouble shooting.

Have you checked out the tutorials in the "LEARN..." thread that's stuck at the top of this forum?
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N View Post
    what do YOU mean by "stretch" when it comes to attributes? it can move if included in a stretch action, but it won't stretch like a line will. Can you post the block you're working on w/ descriptions on what you're trying to accomplish?
    Sorry, right. the attribute is "moving" while I apply it to a stretch parameter. You are absolutely right an attribute will not stretch like a line.

I am attaching the block in this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

What Chris said. You need to set your attribute to "lock position yes." When I looked at your attribute it was set to "lock position no." After you lock your attribute's position, redo your stretch action selection set and it will work.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sandrews.253556 View Post
    What Chris said. You need to set your attribute to "lock position yes." When I looked at your attribute it was set to "lock position no." After you lock your attribute's position, redo your stretch action selection set and it will work.
    OH, I get it now.
    So, down is up and back is forward.

Anyway, Thanks sandrews.253556 it worked!!!!!

Login to Give a bone

OH, I get it now.

Anyway, Thanks sandrews.253556 it worked!!!!!
    These kinds of issues, AND MORE, are explained HERE

S&D DB Sharing Forum

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

OH, I get it now.
    Of course you have to lock it to be able to move it.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

The issue arises most when someone is first introduced to Dynamic Blocks and think "Wow, look what I can do with this Block I created in 1998! Oh wait, that didn't work. I wonder why?" They are unaware of this feature and usually need to be told of it.
    Attributes are Locked by default when created in Versions of AutoCAD where they are native. Previously created Blocks did not have this option and therefore any Attributes that are in these Blocks need to have this Variable manually set.
    That being said more often than not it is easier to delete the Attribute and recreate it since they do not always play nice even when updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast