Thread: Selection Parameters

Login to Give a bone

Question Selection Parameters

Potentially dumb question time guys;

I’m working on a project from a 3rd party, the drawing file has thousands of objects in it, when i pick all of them and say go to change the layer they are on, or the colour etc, only some of them change.

If I choose all the items and then use the properties dialog and change something there, it works fine.

Its bloody annoying, any ideas people?
    is there a system variable for the max number of selections or something? I vaguely remember running into one in the past but don’t know if this will actually help.

any ideas please?

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Selection Parameters

Quote Originally Posted by cchallis View Post
    Potentially dumb question time guys;

I’m working on a project from a 3rd party, the drawing file has thousands of objects in it, when i pick all of them and say go to change the layer they are on, or the colour etc, only some of them change.

If I choose all the items and then use the properties dialog and change something there, it works fine.

Its bloody annoying, any ideas people?
    is there a system variable for the max number of selections or something? I vaguely remember running into one in the past but don’t know if this will actually help.

any ideas please?
    It would be painful if you want to modify drawings from other firms, and it would also be happen even these drawings were created by someone in your office.
    If you found some objects' properties, which can not be changed, they would be blocks or xrefs.
    If this is the case you have to modify those blocks or open the xref drawings then make modification.
    Hope this helps.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

If you choose all the items and then use the properties dialog and change something there, you say it works fine.

Could you be more specific about what method of changing the properties (Ribbon, Toolbar, command, lisp, etc...) isn't working correctly?

Login to Give a bone

It’s not because I haven’t exploded blocks or anything.

It seems to be consistent on several machines in the office. If you select several thousand objects (let’s say lines) then using the ribbon you go into the layer properties and change the line type, it only changes some of the objects.

However if you open the Properties dialog with the same selection it will apply the changes to all of the objects at one time.

Seems odd and inconsistent, but then that seems to be where AutoCAD is heading. I have 10+ years experience so I promise this isn’t me being a moron.

This mostly occurs for me when I get architects drawings in from them, you take their drawings and basically destroy them until you are left with only the walls etc, then you select all of them and go to dump them on the same layer and the above occurs. It’s just annoying. I do vaguely remember some system variable that changed the maximum amount of selections you could make but for the life of me I cannot find it, although this may not fix this. Just another AutoCAD frustration.