See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Match Attribute Properties

Login to Give a bone

Default Match Attribute Properties

Is it possible to do this? Currently some of my blocks have attributes that are on layer 0, all bylayer. In some versions of the same block, they're on a new layer, so naturally I want the attribute to be on a new layer as well. (for instance, a panel board block with the ID at the top, and rating at the bottom. Text is one line thickness, panel is another, hence the need for two layers.)

Is there a way to quickly change the attributes from one layer to another like matchprop? A lisp routine previously written perhaps?

Thanks.

Edit:
    Naturally I'd perfer to manually set the thickness of each item type through the layer manager, but we use a plot style that plots by what the layer color is rather than by layer's set thickness. Why people don't do it this way I'm not sure.
    Last edited by ordengate; 2010-11-11 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Additional information

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Match Attribute Properties

Quote Originally Posted by ordengate View Post
    Is it possible to do this? Currently some of my blocks have attributes that are on layer 0, all bylayer. In some versions of the same block, they're on a new layer, so naturally I want the attribute to be on a new layer as well. (for instance, a panel board block with the ID at the top, and rating at the bottom. Text is one line thickness, panel is another, hence the need for two layers.)

Is there a way to quickly change the attributes from one layer to another like matchprop? A lisp routine previously written perhaps?
    Unless you have lots of blocks to alter, just a double-click on the attribute and a click on the "properties" tab is pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by ordengate View Post
    Naturally I'd prefer to manually set the thickness of each item type through the layer manager, but we use a plot style that plots by what the layer color is rather than by layer's set thickness. Why people don't do it this way I'm not sure.
    It's because that's the way acad has "always" worked. The other way is a lot more recent.
    Old habits and all that.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    It's because that's the way acad has "always" worked. The other way is a lot more recent.
    Old habits and all that.
    or, if it aint broke, don't fix it? not to mention the cost of converting all the tens of thousands of detail and reference drawings some firms have accumulated.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    or, if it aint broke, don't fix it? not to mention the cost of converting all the tens of thousands of detail and reference drawings some firms have accumulated.
    But that's never been adesk's way of doing things, has it?

"If it ain't broke, keep on fixing it until it is."

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    See, that's what I don't get. It takes my LISP routine I created maybe 30 seconds to convert an older drawing to use lineweight bylayer. If you run it as needed on older jobs, the cost would be almost nil.

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Unless you have lots of blocks to alter, just a double-click on the attribute and a click on the "properties" tab is pretty quick.
    This is what I currently do. However, I generally do have a lot of blocks to do it to. What I'm afraid of is if someone unknowingly does an attsync on the block and I have to go back and clean up the drawing.

Login to Give a bone

Well, if you are plotting by assigning weights to layers, then you are kinda limiting your ability to generate hardcopies that have all the flexibility that's possible with either ctb or stb plotting. Both have advantages, but (if I'm understanding you) assigning a weight to each layer, and plotting w/o plot styles, is the least flexible choice I can think of.

Personally, ctb works best in my environment for my construction documents. stb would work, but not as well. WYSIWYG is the least usable -- looking at an entire Ansi E sheets on a 19" monitor does not show any lineweights in a usable manner.