Thread: schedule parameters of nested shared families

Login to Give a bone

Question schedule parameters of nested shared families

Hi all ,

Do you know how to schedule nested families parameters, i.e. material and text?

I have created a door family with a nested panel. The nested family has different types for different material and description and I would like to see them in the final door schedule. I was wondering if it is possible to link those parameters to the host family to call them out in the project schedule.

Any idea?
    Last edited by LSimo; 2010-11-19 at 03:54 PM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: schedule parameters of nested shared families

Welcometo the Augi forums.

You need to make the nested families "Shared" - Try a search on these Forums for "Shared Nested Families" and you´ll find more info than you´ll ever need
    Last edited by Munkholm; 2011-01-10 at 08:02 PM.

Login to Give a bone

The problem is that your Door Panel is not in the correct Famility Category, your panel is probably a generic model so therefore a shared parameter will not appear as an option to schedule in a door schedule. (If you did a multicat schedule you will see that panel material parameter appear)
    Simply open the nested panel, change the category to Door, reload into your door family (making sure the shared checkbox is ticked in the panel family), the load it into your project and it will appear in the schedule,.

Dont add another panel material shared parameter in the main door family as well as it will double up on Door Panel Materials in the final door schedule and get confusing.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Munkholm!

i think I have sorted my problem. Very useful!

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: schedule parameters of nested shared families

Cheers guys!

I write my solution down for anyone who might be interested:
    In those couple of days I have tried nested families & shared parameters for the first time and they seem pretty powerful especially in my situations.
    I had hundreds type of doors and of course did want to reduce them somehow…
    So I've used child families (nested families) and parent ones.
    - created a generic model family which is the actual door with different types containing all different proprieties (which I know already i.e. material, description dimensions).
    - nested this child family in the parent one (a door family).
    - added a parameter to the child family (instance parameter) which will allow you to control the chid family types in the project.
    - add a few types in the door family (like with/without vision panel, overhead panel…)

Final result is to have a few families (group 1) with a few types each (group 2) which should make easier the final user life while browsing the project doors. Then you can select the actual door type in a drop down box as an instance parameter (group 3).
    You can also schedule all door in the project by using shared parameters.

Hope this can help!