Thread: ducts and pipes do not obey the plan region!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default ducts and pipes do not obey the plan region!

I am trying to get Plan Regions to work properly but it seems like ducts and pipes are somehow immune to them. For anything else it works properly: the area contained by the plan region boundary is controlled by a view range separate from the rest of the view. However my ducts and pipes are always controlled by the view range of the main view even when they are in the Plan region.

I found another post where this problem was mentioned here http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=114740 and it was suggested that I install the latest update, which i did, but the problem persists.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ducts and pipes do not obey the plan region!

We have been told by support (autodesk through reseller) that this is a known issue.

The only work around is to create sep views (not dependent views) and place them next to each other on the sheet so it looks like one plan view. Not fun!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timsea81 View Post

I found another post where this problem was mentioned here http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=114740 and it was suggested that I install the latest update, which i did, but the problem persists.
    I was the one who had created the original thread, and even though I later mentioned that Plan Region worked, it hasn't worked for me 100% ever since. This is indeed a known issue, only with MEP components, not with architectural or structural bits. I don't know if anyone has posted this issue on the wishlist, but I'll check on it and will post if not there already.

Login to Give a bone

Before I post on Wishlist, does anyone know if this problem still persists with 2011? I haven't had the chance to try 2011 yet.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

No change that I'm aware of. The issue is that the feature is (always has been) focused on changing the appearance of hosts and hosted elements, primarily windows and doors in walls when their elevation affects whether they are visible. They have never expanded on the features scope.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I haven't noticed any issue w/ using them in 2009. I don't quite understand the significance of host or hosted elements as Steve mentioned, and don't know why things would be different in 2010.

I have noticed a couple of things tho: 1. If there is a portion of the duct/pipe that is outside the region then that piece not be affected. you can split those elements at the region boundries and they will follow the view range settings (see pic). 2. There is some issue w/ different view range settings. the only difference between the two pictures was that the cut plan was set lower on the second. The pipe here is at around 10'-0" so I think either plan region should have worked. (this is in 2009 so not sure if this helps one bit)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I'm having the same issue with Revit MEP 2011.
    My air terminals, and duct elbows, along with all architectural components obey the plan region, but the straight runs of duct do not; regardless if the whole duct or only a portion of it is contained within the region.

Really need a clean way to see below ducts in certain areas (while seeing other components which are at a higher elevation).