Thread: Error when adding render material to dwg.

Login to Give a bone

Question Error when adding render material to dwg.

In Civil 3D 2011, I get the following error message when trying to add render materials to my drawing from the tool palette: "This material tool has properties that are not supported by AutCAD. This material was not added to the drawing."

Any ideas why this is?

Thanks in advance,
    Liesl

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Error when adding render material to dwg.

Hello Liesl,

Did you create a 'Style' for your surface display? Once you do that, then switching from one display 'style (e.g. Showing contours at 1' and 5' intervals) to another is a matter of changing the style name in the Surface Properties.
    Another method is to use the Analysis method if you are looking for Slope arrows or ranges, elevation banding, etc... but you will still need to have a 'style' defined beforehand.

I deleted this answer from your other post and moved it to here.

I will edit that post so you don't get multiple answers. That way it makes it easier for others to find the answers when you post a question in one place instead of two or three. (This is known as "cross-posting" and it makes it difficult to find the answers easily.)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MHultgren View Post
    Hello Liesl,

Did you create a 'Style' for your surface display? Once you do that, then switching from one display 'style (e.g. Showing contours at 1' and 5' intervals) to another is a matter of changing the style name in the Surface Properties.
    Another method is to use the Analysis method if you are looking for Slope arrows or ranges, elevation banding, etc... but you will still need to have a 'style' defined beforehand.

I deleted this answer from your other post and moved it to here.

I will edit that post so you don't get multiple answers. That way it makes it easier for others to find the answers when you post a question in one place instead of two or three. (This is known as "cross-posting" and it makes it difficult to find the answers easily.)
    Thanks for doing this, Mark!

Will this solve my render material problem? I'm tellin' ya, this is awesome software but not the most intuitive... it's not for the faint of heart. :-\

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You add the materials to the surface through the surface properties. Select the surface, right click, surface properties. On the information tab, select the render material you want to use.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hailey View Post
    You add the materials to the surface through the surface properties. Select the surface, right click, surface properties. On the information tab, select the render material you want to use.
    I still get the same error message when selecting from "Civil Materials". I am able to import materials from "Civil Metric Subassemblies" from the method you describe. Is it a setting in my surface style?