Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Deck Profile at Supports.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Metal Deck Profile at Supports.

It is great that we can add a profile to a floor within Revit to show metal deck in section, but what use is it if it isn't accurate when it comes to producing details?

Hopefully I am missing something here...

The attached images show.

1 - The default appearance of the metal deck in section at a Steel support.

2 - The appearance of the metal deck at the steel support when I have added a cantilever to the deck.

3 - What I actually want to see, what the contractor wants to see, and what the Metal Deck contractor wants to see.

An opaque filled region looks terrible and goes against the idea of modelling.

Adding a cantilever to the deck also looks terrible.

Does anyone have an idea how to achieve a deck edge as shown in image number 3?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Metal Deck Profile at Supports.

you could add a slab edge (bent plate) to the slab. That will give the profile you want.
    How ever you bring up a great point. I highly doubt that anyone would want to model girder fillers and pour stops. Hence I still detail mostly in Cad.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by David_Peterson View Post
    you could add a slab edge (bent plate) to the slab. That will give the profile you want.
    How ever you bring up a great point. I highly doubt that anyone would want to model girder fillers and pour stops. Hence I still detail mostly in Cad.
    Thanks for that, I thought as much, I was hoping there was a way to force Revit to manipulate the deck at the supports, it would be good to be able to select the supports and have Revit automatically adjust the profile array so there is a tray at each support, then just equally space the other trays between supports.

We don't design the deck but need to have it shown correct in the details.

Basically the ability to add this profile to the floor system family has little use at all.

I do feel that creating detail components or detailing in AutoCAD to solve this problem kind of goes against the idea of building and using a model. Even though this profile is nothing more than a 2D representation within the floor that is only visible in section cuts.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I agree with you.... in a perfect world the deck profile should by default be centered and interrupted at low wave.

BUT

That isn't the way the deck profiles will be sold and thus placed on site...

If the whole slab length isn't a modulus of 1 profile deck, you will not cut 2 whole 12m profile decks for the both sides of your slab ! You'll begin with a whole profile and finish on the other end with a shifted deck + a fusible filler (frigolite...) ! No cut = no $$$ useless work hours

Am I wrong ?

Director of Operations David Harrington's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I would (and do) detail in Revit (not AutoCAD anymore). In this case I would overlay a detail component with the correct deck profile placement and hide the floor category in the view.
    Take care,
    David Harrington
    AUGI Director of Operations

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I agree with you.... in a perfect world the deck profile should by default be centered and interrupted at low wave.

BUT

If the whole slab length isn't a modulus of 1 profile deck, you will not cut 2 whole 12m profile decks for the both sides of your slab ! You'll begin with a whole profile and finish on the other end with a shifted deck + a fusible filler (frigolite...) ! No cut = no $$$ useless work hours

Am I wrong ?

But I personnaly have other (bigger ?) problems with steel decks

_ in the hereby section (lower right corner) you could see that decks with a shaft in them will restart its waves where the shaft pass !!! orthogonal shafts or round shafts... no mathers

and that's realy uggly and unacceptable !

_ in 3D projection/view/camera/renderings, no deck anymore....

Concretely, the only way to get a real sectionnable, renderable, accurate deck is to make it with a beam system ! =o(

Director of Operations David Harrington's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

As with other things in Revit, you sometimes can work around them at great expense. You could create a custom "floor" family and lay it out as you really need. A pain for sure, but visually right.
    Take care,
    David Harrington
    AUGI Director of Operations

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

yep David... but it wont be accurate for structural analyses then...

some fine tune has still to be dons on steel decks...

_ still an other "downward", you have to choose between independent layers (= OSB plate fixed above the steel sheet wave profile - which has by definition no thickness) or merged layer, concrete or isolation poured onto the whole slab filling at least the whole wave height + a bit.

so you cannot put a layer on your structural deck profile which follows it... like an isolation mats, a ruber membrane,... and - in a particular use I've met in a renovation - to create for example a "vintage brick slab" composed of repeating I beams & 2ft brick voughts ( I-beam system supperposed to a voughted brick slab would be perfect aswell for plan, sections & renderings as for load analyses !)

Adesk should make "thickness" parameter accessible for the decks (even usefull for non concrete filled steel decks and them scheddules and structural analyses)

PS : Is it normal that I cannot edit my posts anymore ?
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Totally agreed with David, detailing using Revit.
    This is one way to let your Detail Component Library grow.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by opesch View Post

BUT

Am I wrong ?
    The deck will be finished using edge trims as required, the deck tray needs to sit on the beam flange for the composite design with shear studs.

As I said before, we do not design the deck, but it has to look right in section details, and yes, your post above is exactly the same question, we should be able to specify where we need to see trays, so the sections / details we provide look accurate.

Yes, you are right, that does look ugly. There is a work around for that but it is painfully time consuming. You could set a concrete cantilever at the shaft, however, this would mean you have to 'sketch' the shaft manually on each floor rather than using the shaft tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast