Thread: CIS/2 Export

Login to Give a bone

Default CIS/2 Export

Im glad to have the extensions for revit, but it appears they are under developed and poorly supported. My CIS/2 export was bad, I guess the detailer could use it to get started, but it almost seems like he would work harder fixing it than just starting over. I can't find much support info out there on the subject, just wanted to check if someone else knew of anything. Would exporting it to an IFC file be a better option?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CIS/2 Export

I have also tried a CIS/2 export, and my experience with it was terrible. The export was completely useless. For me the best option was to give the fabricator the Revit Structure file direclty and tell him where to get the free copy of the RS program, which is the demo version, as well as set up a 3d view of the project specifically for him in the project model.
    The model was given as information only, but it greatly reduced the number of RFI's because the intent was transferred so much more clearly.
    I was told by a detailer once that for small jobs, which most of mine are, <500 tons, they would rather create the CIS/2 model themselves.

Login to Give a bone

That's what we've done in the past. If they want the CIS\2 model we make the sign another disclaimer and give them the ram model. However the Ram model usually isn't 100% correct.
    I've heard the IFC export isn't much better.

Login to Give a bone

I tried the SDNF export as well, it seems this format is even more obscure? Maybe they can get something out of it. I will try to send them a dxf as well, if nothing more than for reference.

Trying to get our designs to integrate with RISA and export it from there. Im willing to bet RISA does a much better job, even if less detailed. It's just frustrating. As my boss likes to tell me, there is a fine line between cutting edge and bleeding edge. Unfortunately, this feels closer to bleeding edge at the moment. Here's to hoping the reality can catch up with the possibilities. Thanks for the help.