See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: ACA 2008- Room Tags

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default ACA 2008- Room Tags

I want a room tag to be used for building code analysis that shows the room occupant load based on occupancy use. I saw one of these in the forums before, but now I cannot find it. The one I found was not complete.

I tried to create a tag using the information I found, but creating property data sets was quite a problem. The formulae in the data sets do not work like the formulae in Excel. Of particular difficulty for me was the if-then formula.

This is how I thought it would work. I created a data set that had a short list of code based occupancy types, for example, office. If I selected office, then the formula would assign a value based on the occupancy group and divide that inot the room area to get the occupant count for the room.

Can anyone help me?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ACA 2008- Room Tags

Multi-line formula properties in ACA are evaluated as VBScript. The syntax is different from that used in Excel formulas.

There are a number of ways you might approach this. I am not certain what you mean when you say you created a "data set", so I will sketch out two possibilities.

Do you use different Space Styles for different occupancy types? If so, you could set up a style-based property set (or modify an existing one, if you have one) and include a property in it that would hold the occupancy load factor. You could then have an object-based property set that included an automatic property for the area of the Space and a formula property that multiplies the area property by the occupancy load factor property. Bonus points for getting any fractional amount to round up.

If you do not use different Space Styles for different occupancy types, you could do something similar to what you describe by setting up a List Definition that includes all of your occupancy types. For each Space, you would have an object-based property set that includes an automatic property for the Area and a List-type manual property that references your occupancy type list. You would then need a formula property that can "read" the occupancy type chosen and calculate the occupancy load. I would suggest using a Select Case statement, which would have a Case for each occupancy type. Each Case would have a statement that would multiply the Area by the appropriate occupancy factor. You can find more information on using the Select Case statement in this blog article. If you want to stick with an If/Then/Else statement, you can read more about how those work in this blog article.

To really do it right, you would need to come up with a way to calculate the right area, as some factors are based on net area and others on gross area. ACA Spaces can be set up that way, but it may involve a lot more editing than you really want to do. You may also want to include a manual override property, if you ever need to "manually" calculate the occupancy of a Space and just type in the value in the manual override property.

Another issue would be that for gross area factors, we would generally calculate the load based on the entire floor/wing/whatever, rather than on a room-by-room basis (less the area of any spaces that need to be done separately, such as accessory assembly areas, etc). A room-by-room calculation could result in a lot of rounding ups, giving a higher occupancy load.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks. I have never done anything with VBA, but that solution looks simple enough for even me. I will try it out later on.

Most people I work with are too lazy to concern themselves with space styles, so my work becomes more difficult.

For our purposes, the net/gross counts are not statistically different enough to worry about. Most often the count is used to determine the number of exits and total exit width from a room or space.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I have attempted to mimic this using the Select Case, however, the tag gives me the formula as a result instead of the Occupancy Load. Where am I failing in this formula. I am only using two of the Occupant Types to test before adding all of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I have been trying to reply to this post all day, with no success.