Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concrete Beam Schedules

Login to Give a bone

Question Concrete Beam Schedules

We're still using ACAD on old projects, but using RST on new projects. Luckily the new ones have been steel. However, I know the day is coming where I need to model a concrete structure in RST.

How are you handling Concrete Beam Schedules? When using ACAD, we're typing all the information into Excel spreadsheets. Then, we use a 3rd party program to import the XLS ranges into ACAD. Once set up, the 3rd party program is a snap when we need to update the spreadsheets in ACAD. (I'm attaching an example of a small portion of our beam schedule)

I cannot see how I'm going to handle this in the future when we get our first Concrete building in RST.

What are you doing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Concrete Beam Schedules

We've added parameters to the concrete beams and let them drive the schedule.
    The schedule refers to a legend that shows all the different bar configurations.
    I model all the beams and let my engineer fill out the schedule in Revit.
    Working great so far.

Director of Operations David Harrington's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I agree with the other Dave, works great...generally.

About the biggest hassle is that beams don't show up in the schedule until they exist in the model. So sometimes I'll do a large array of beams to build that initial schedule, then it can be filled out in any number of methods.

The other challenge is what happens when a given beam type is removed from the plan, it drops from the schedule too. This is often not desirable, rather a NOT USED put on that row in the schedule. Sometimes to solve that I'll make a beam graveyard off the project area where the beam can sit and therefore populate the schedule.
    Take care,
    David Harrington
    AUGI Director of Operations

Login to Give a bone

Well for me Since I have to model them anyway, we pick out out typ beam width an depth for the project (24x24) and frame out the building using 1 beam type. Next I go around and duplicate each beam and give each beam it's own unique beam number (type) like 2B137. Then I'll go to the schedule and apply a manufacturer parameter (based on what level I want to call the beam schedule (ie canopy beam schedule) so I can filter them out.
    I haven't seen what the fabricator has sent back for shops yet, but they haven't called or sent an RFI so I'm hoping they understand it.

Login to Give a bone

I learnt that if the rebar parameters is added to the family definition then it can be exported and modified in Excel and back imported. whereas if it is added as instance parameter then it can only be exported. The issue with family parameters is we will end up with so many unique beam types. What is the workaround? I am not sure if this could be handled by scripting and tapping the API objects.

Director of Operations David Harrington's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Everyone I know, and including my firm, ends up with many beam types (1 type per mark on plan). It is the best to deal with the task at hand.
    Take care,
    David Harrington
    AUGI Director of Operations

Login to Give a bone

Dave,

Thanks for your response, Old Friend!

On another try, I successfully exported a Revit Structure model to a SQLExpress database, however I cannot find the "Structural Column Instance" table or the "Structural Beam Instance" table in the database.

The existance of such a table is mentioned here for RST:
    http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/e...0-Exportin2140

I have created instance parameters to add rebar information, which I wish to review in Excel or Access. However these parameters and the standard "Rebar Cover" field parameters are not showing up in the exported database. Among the 200 plus tables in the database, where elese could these be saved to?

Thanks
    Vish Urala
    Last edited by ubviswa; 2012-11-07 at 09:22 PM.

Login to Give a bone

That's a very good question. Sorry, but I don't have an answer for that one. I'm wondering if you need to make them as a shared parameter somehow (which I don't think they are) in order for them to get put to a schedule of any type.
    I've never gotten in to the data base idea and the import/export thing. I get lucky. I just model the size and type (by beam name) and let my engineers fill out my schedule. They in turn are using Ram Concrete to model and design beams. Once designed they fill out the the rebar parameters for size, quantity and type.

Login to Give a bone

Can you post a snapshot of the beam schedule created in Revit?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kjagielska View Post
    Can you post a snapshot of the beam schedule created in Revit?

Thanks!
    See attached.
    The schedule calls out the bar size and type. The bar types are in a legend (created in a drafting view).
    As David said, we typically use one number/mark per beam since by the time you get done there's usually something slightly different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast