Thread: Portfolio for new job...

Login to Give a bone

Default Portfolio for new job...

I am about to be interviewing for a new job at a civil engineering firm. Been doing civil drafting for 7 years at one company before now. I am wanting to get some drawings together for a portfolio, but am wondering if that is even allowed? I have never heard otherwise. Is that unheard of, to use drawings from a previous employment in a portfolio? If it is not frowned upon, what about title block info? (project name, number, date, etc.) Can't really ask anyone at my current employment without giving away the fact that I am looking elsewhere.

I no longer have any of the sample drawings I did from school.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Annie

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Portfolio for new job...

Unless the job you're applying for specifically states otherwise - You shouldn't need the plans, or drawing files given that you have the work experience.

Between your resume, and potential interview(s), the hiring manager & technical staff that speak with you will get a feel for your capabilities, and/or skill level.

Hope this helps!
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I explained the type of projects and what I did....as each civil firm I have worked for has done their drawings differently...

With 7 years experience you should be able to provide insight to what you are able to do without guidance as well...At least after 3 years I was doing the same work as an EIT.

Having the drawings from a previous job could also show you have no problem sharing proprietary information...which may be a negative on your part.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Architects have a thing for portfolios, but civil, not so much. And, the drawings you worked on for a previous employer on their nickel, are their property - not yours. without their permission, you can't legitimately use them to demonstrate your experience.

<rant>copyright has been so overblown, it's become a burden on society</rant>

Login to Give a bone

You could also use drawings that are already public information such as documents filed at a county recorder. I agree with the rest, though, don't worry about working samples unless the prospective employer asks for them. If they do, consider blanking out any proprietary information such as logos, title blocks, and client names. Asking the company to use those documents will also be prudent (and as Cadtag said, legal).

Login to Give a bone

public information/=public domain. copyright and ownership still apply -- hence <rant>

Login to Give a bone

Some firms may require an actual CAD test - sit you down at a workstation and give you a particular scenerio and have you draw it. I actually had a test made up - written and drafting - for prospective hires.

Good luck on the interview!