Thread: Making Revit Behave... Possible Wishlist Item?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Making Revit Behave... Possible Wishlist Item?

I'm not sure how much support I'll get for this, but I'll ask anyways...

Can the Revit program be made to behave like a normal and current windows program?
    I don't really know the history of Revit, nor am I programmer, but it's blatantly obvious that Revit does not behave as a normal windows program.
    What's worse is that it seems to be inconsistent with itself.

Issues such as:

- Inconsitencies with the properties pallet
    Entering values. Sometimes, it accepts them and updates the model instantly, other times, you need to hit apply.
    A normal program requires you to hit apply (or like CAD, at least click outside the current value box first).

Sometimes after entering the value, it jumps down a line, but not always. Normal behavior is that it does not do this, and only goes to a new line

when after "tab" or a mouse click to the new line.

The drop down boxes in the properties palette doesn't respond to the down arrow, but the arrow key jumps you down a line.
    This is not normal windows behavior, if you go into Options, you can see that it does inherit some normal windows behaviors.
    CTRL+PAGE UP and CTRL+PAGE DOWN controls the tabs, down arrows changes the drop down box options.

I'm not sure how much it's slowing down the program, but if it's trying to figure out a way of doing things basic windows programs seem to pull from windows, doesn't it mean that Revit is doing way more than it needs to, thus slowing down the program even further?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Making Revit Behave... Possible Wishlist Item?

I've never really experience that much issue.One thing i can point out in the "apply" scheme is that moving your cursor out of the properties apply the settings. Not moving it out allows you to go to another properties and change that value.
    The apply button allows you to control when you want the changes to be applied.

Login to Give a bone

I feel your pain Ron. The biggest frustration for me is the whole "apply" logic. Sometimes I can't even finish typing the value before it decides to apply and move on, frequently causing me to accidently delete the object I was editing. It may be happening due to some obsure unrelated mouse movement (I'm not sure).

The 'on the fly' properties pallete is a new thing, and I think it's got some smooting out to do still.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I believe you may be experiencing the "inconsistency" with regard to whether or not changes are applied with or without clicking the "Apply" button because of where your cursor ends up.

For example, if you click on a box in the properties palette, and then move the cursor off the palette, you will still be able to enter data, but when you press Enter or Tab, the changes will be applied without you having to click Apply.

However, if you leave the cursor on the palette after you click in the box, you will be able to Tab or Enter to your heart's content, and the changes won't be applied until you do one of the following: click the Apply button, move the cursor outside the palette for a couple of seconds, or click in the viewport. That's been my experience, anyway, although I can't guarantee that it will hold true for all situations.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Making Revit Behave... Possible Wishlist Item?

Quote Originally Posted by ronsarlo570557 View Post
    I'm not sure how much support I'll get for this, but I'll ask anyways...

Can the Revit program be made to behave like a normal and current windows program?
    I don't really know the history of Revit, nor am I programmer, but it's blatantly obvious that Revit does not behave as a normal windows program.
    What's worse is that it seems to be inconsistent with itself.

Issues such as:

- Inconsitencies with the properties pallet
    Entering values. Sometimes, it accepts them and updates the model instantly, other times, you need to hit apply.
    A normal program requires you to hit apply (or like CAD, at least click outside the current value box first).

Sometimes after entering the value, it jumps down a line, but not always. Normal behavior is that it does not do this, and only goes to a new line

when after "tab" or a mouse click to the new line.

The drop down boxes in the properties palette doesn't respond to the down arrow, but the arrow key jumps you down a line.
    This is not normal windows behavior, if you go into Options, you can see that it does inherit some normal windows behaviors.
    CTRL+PAGE UP and CTRL+PAGE DOWN controls the tabs, down arrows changes the drop down box options.

I'm not sure how much it's slowing down the program, but if it's trying to figure out a way of doing things basic windows programs seem to pull from windows, doesn't it mean that Revit is doing way more than it needs to, thus slowing down the program even further?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
    Hi Ron,

I agree with the down arrows in the parameters.

I would also like to be able to select multiple lines in schedules.

What I would love to see in future Revit releases is the ability to select other parameters when writing formulas instead of having to retype them. Similar to selecting cells in Excel when writing formulas. It would also be really cool if there way a formula checker built in, again similar to Excel. Instead, when it fails, it doesn't give a clear reason most of the time. It would be really cool to have a formulas tab or similar when you click in the formula column. Maybe a small Excel type window could open to help write your formulas, with the abilities I was thinking of above.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

I thought I was the only one where this was driving me nuts. I personally don't like the auto apply tool. I find myself accidentally deleting something when I am just trying to correct something I typed in erroneously in the properties box. Is there a way to disable the 'on the fly' tool or 'auto commit'? Countless times I've had to undo because I accidentally deleted an element I was editing.

Login to Give a bone

Maybe you can hack some .ini file somewhere, but there's no setting for it that I know inside the program. Revit has tons of 'settings', but very few options for controlling how it behaves.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Sorry, no way to disable it.

If you are careful with your mouse movement, meaning don't move your cursor back "in canvas" or off the Properties Palette, your changes are not applied. I quite like just being able to move my cursor "back to work" to apply changes. I just keep my focus in the palette when I have a series of things to change. Using the TAB key will advance from field to field so it isn't necessary to move the mouse at all until I'm done.