Thread: Help with sharing central files between offices

Login to Give a bone

Default Help with sharing central files between offices

Seems the architecture folks really have a good grasp on this topic so I came here. Hard to ask the question I need in the subject line. Here is the scenario.

We have an engineering office and a contractor. The engineering isn't as on-board with the whole Revit groove as the contractor is. The contractor has created all the necessary equipment within their central. We want to send the file to the engineer to use by incorporating what we have already done into their central. Any changes they agree/ disagree to we can take that file back and save it back to our central. Is this viable or even possible? Its my understanding that we can take back their file and save back to central/synchronize and provided the name is the same. Their shouldn't be an issue since the database will query the new file and warn of us of any changes. Is this correct?

If it isn't, how can we take their file other than linking in their drawing over ours and we shift the elements in our drawing to match their central. What's the best way to achieve what I am after. Hopefully I have confused too many folks. Many thanks in advance.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help with sharing central files between offices

Sounds like you want to use Copy/Monitor. Read up on it here:

http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2010/...RAC/index.html

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Are you saying that you send a file to the contractor and they work on it then send it back?
    What do you do in the mean time?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    Are you saying that you send a file to the contractor and they work on it then send it back?
    What do you do in the mean time?
    I'm not familiar with the agree/disagree functions of workgroups, but I can attest that workgroup files can be synchronized between offices over the internet w/o any trouble, assuming your contractor has proper user privileges to access your network. Nothing special needs to be set up, they work just the same as any other workgroup file.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jameswest77327236 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the agree/disagree functions of workgroups, but I can attest that workgroup files can be synchronized between offices over the internet w/o any trouble, assuming your contractor has proper user privileges to access your network. Nothing special needs to be set up, they work just the same as any other workgroup file.
    Except, it will be a horrendously slow save to central. Look into Revit Server, which is free to subscription members, as well as possibly a WAN accelerator if this is going to be a more than one time situation. Riverbed is a hardware solution, and there have been posts of a software solution as well.

The other major point is the bandwidth/type of internet connection your office has. Typical business DSL is not really sufficient for this. We have a dedicated T3 line to our office, plus Riverbed for working in these situations.

Login to Give a bone

A while ago, we tried working with an Equipment supplier with the process the OP describes, but it was a major PITA.
    • First we made sure everyone did a SWC.
    • Then one person in our office would get out of the model and change their user name to the consultant's.
    • They would then make a new Local (using the consultant's name) and open that.
    • Then they would select all of the Equipment (we had it on it's own Worksheet) and Make Elements Editable.
    • Ditto for any Views the consultant needed.
    • Next, they have to SWC and NOT relinquish Elements.
    • Save Local and Exit. Say "yes, it's OK that I'm not Synced.
    • Finally we send that file off to the consultant.
    • They MUST have the same User Name
    • They work on their "Local" copy - ignoring any messages about not being able to contact the Central.
    • Eventually, the consultant saves (not SWC- Save) their local copy, then they send it back to us.
    • We change our User Name back to the consultant's
    • Open their "Local Copy"
    • SWC and hope all their changes are valid.

And that's the simplified version. It's actually even messier than that. You've got to be very careful to change Names at the right time - And change it back! You CANNOT ever replace your Central file with another version. You end up spending half a day every Friday getting their changes back in, and another half-day Monday meeting their new cop
    All in all, it's a VERY messy and fragile process and not recommended.
    If at all possible, just Link their model into yours.
    If you REALLY need to be in the same model, then Revit Server is the way to go. That, however, requires both of the firms to be in the same Domain, so now your got firewall and/or VPN issues to deal with.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Help with sharing central files between offices

Wow. Im not sure how to process all the great responses.

dgreen: First let me say I understand the copy/monitor aspect. From my limited perspective, I dont think this is exactly what Im after to solve my issue even though this would be used in what were doing.

dhurtubise: The contractor would be sending the engineer the revit file. Most engineers dont place device/ equipment with other disciplines in mind. So the contractor is placing the equipment and sending it to the engineer to approve. In the mean time we wouldnt need to do any chnages till we got the file back. Then after any changes we would get the file back and save it back to our central. I may be explaining a workflow that is either uncommon or all together unadvisable. I dont know. The typical workflow between architect and contractor is something I totally understand.

Scott Womack: While it' best to do this with the workflow I mentioned, I have a hard time believing that the engineer will be onboard with this. I will definately look into revit Server

DaveP: Wow lots of info but I think I understand what youre saying. You are right. That would be a major PITA. Silly question. When you say SWC, that simply means "save to central" right?

I am struggling on how an engineer and contractor of the same discipline can collaborate on a model. I first thought we could share the same model and send it back an forth but now I am thinking that isnt the way to go. If I understand everyone its probably best that we each have on our own and simply link it in and copy/monitor the changes? Is that the genreal concensus?

I appreciate all the input.