Thread: How to organize pipe types

Login to Give a bone

Default How to organize pipe types

We are trying to hammer down some better Revit standards and one area that we have neglected has been organizing pipe types. We have used pipe types by system (i.e. HWS, HWR, CWS, CWR, DCW, CTS, etc.) but often times users do not pay attention and you get pipe type mix ups with multiple types on a system. We now control pipe system tags by the system which works well but trying to simplify the pipe types but make it obvious to the users has been a challenge.

On one hand we can keep it simple (the KISS method) and just arrange them by materials. I wonder if this really engages the users that aren't sure which material to pick enough to make them ask questions. Here is a sample list I have by material:

Pipe types by Material and fittings:
    1. Copper
    2. Ductile Iron
    3. Cast Iron
    4. PVC
    5. PVC - DWV
    6. Carbon Steel - Threaded
    7. Carbon Steel - Welded
    8. Carbon Steel - Flanged
    9. Carbon Steel - Grooved

If we add the discipline, it adds some redundant pipe types (for example copper fittings are the same regardless of discipline) but it spells it out for the users and I think it might make them think and ask questions more so if we just use materials:

Pipe types by purpose:
    1. Fire Protection - Carbon Steel
    2. Fire Protection - Copper
    3. Fire Protection - CPVC
    4. Fire Protection - Ductile Iron
    5. HVAC - Hydronic - Carbon Steel
    6. HVAC - Hydronic - Copper
    7. HVAC - Hydronic - PVC
    8. Plumbing - Domestic Water - Copper
    9. Plumbing - Domestic Water - Ductile Iron
    10. Plumbing - Domestic Water - PVC
    11. Plumbing - Fuel Gas - Carbon Steel
    12. Plumbing - Gravity Waste - Cast Iron
    13. Plumbing - Gravity Waste - PVC
    14. Plumbing - Pressurized Waste - Ductile Iron

These are the most basic pipe types we want in our template file and the information that has the most significant dimensional impact. In my opinion, the schedule/class of the pipes does not have a significant impact dimensionally and in water volume calculations to include them in the basic template. Users will be able to create more specific pipe types (i.e. process and medical/lab gas) and use schedule/class on a project by project basis.

So, what do you think of the pipe types listed above? Which method works best for you users? How do you organize your pipe types?

Thanks,

Joe

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to organize pipe types

We do our pipe types by material (essentially out of the box for pipes with created fittings to match category) and use systems to separate by purpose. After all the same copper tubing can be used for fire, domestic hot water or HVAC heating water. You can then colour using filter by system to make sure all pipework is connecting correctly.

Also there are a lot of different purposes you may want to separate - especially once you get into med gases or lab gases - so you really wouldn't want to have to create pipe types for each.

Login to Give a bone

By pipe material seams to be the simplest way to do it, but I was wondering if anyone has found it useful to add purpose and discipline to the mix. I was thinking that even though the fittings are identical, there might be some other parameters that you might want to add to the pipe types that would warrant specifying more detail. We also have issues with users not using the right pipe type and by specifying more detail, they might be more inclined to ask the questions and keep track of the pipe type they are using.

Login to Give a bone

I know this was an older thread, but I'm just curious how everyone was approaching this topic with Revit 2013 (or if anyone has yet). They made some significant changes with the addition of the routing preferences in the latest version. For example, you could setup one pipe type that uses copper pipe and fittings up to 2-1/2", and welded steel for 3" and above.

I'm updating our template, and initially I was going to just use the pipe material to drive the pipe types. But a pipe type with mixed materials like described above would probably be better for hot/chilled water for HVAC. To me it seems like things are swinging back towards having the pipe types for each system type, or at least similar groups of them. Thoughts?

Login to Give a bone

I always used purpose/material for the pipe type.
    Natural Gas - Black Steel
    Domestic Water - Copper
    Domestic Water - PE

Reason being that I wanted the correct label to show on the pipe regardless of the system. ie 3" CW, 3" G...

That Revit allows different materials and fittings for different sizes only confirms this for me with minor changes: Domestic Water - Copper/Black Steel

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dan537c303956 View Post
    I always used purpose/material for the pipe type.
    Natural Gas - Black Steel
    Domestic Water - Copper
    Domestic Water - PE

Reason being that I wanted the correct label to show on the pipe regardless of the system. ie 3" CW, 3" G...

That Revit allows different materials and fittings for different sizes only confirms this for me with minor changes: Domestic Water - Copper/Black Steel

If you are still getting problem then you should consult with experts, they will assist you better.

I hope this is one of the genuine way to do so.