Thread: ACA 2011 and Revit Architecture 2011

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question ACA 2011 and Revit Architecture 2011

Hello!

My name in Karl and I am a newcomer to this forum and AUGI community so please spare me if this thread happens to be in a wrong forum section, thank you.

So the thing is that I received a location plan in .dwg. On that there are the toposurface level heights presented on the drawing as text and points. My mission is to have this 2D *.dwg landscape integrated to Revit as 3D landscape.

What I've tried so far:
    I imported the .dwg to my Revit model as an underlay for the project. I deleted all the layers except for the ones that chart the levels on the dwg. So this is what it looks like in Revit showing only the heights indicators layer .

Now in Revit I tried to create the toposurface by using the 'Create from import' tool and 'select import instance' . so I selected the underlay dwg and it seemed to understand the points placement of the dwg and the Revit toposurface was created according to those. but the problem is that all of the Revit's toposurface elevations are still level at 0. it would be a time-consuming task to change the elevations one by one throughout the model.

I also tried to find a solution for this and almost every thread that I came across described Revit as a good tool for building design but weak for landscaping. I understand that I shouldn't elevate the landscape of over 250 000 m2 using Revit.

What i also found out is that AutoCAD Civil 3D could be useful for this problem but I am not familiar with that program so instead of trying Civil 3D out I decided to ask for help from this forum first.

So I am open for suggestions, solutions, tips, tricks etc. What could be the best solution for this problem? I hope I described my situation well enough.

Thank you.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ACA 2011 and Revit Architecture 2011

Please note I have moved this thread from the BIM Management - General Forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks,

Richard
    Forum Administrator
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

There is no getting around entering all those heights. I would start my toposurface from the top and slowly work my way point by point left to right and back each time moving down row by row. Much like using an old style typewriter. If you find the toposurface is obscuring the CAD drawing then switch to wireframe mode as you work. If you find two points at the same height you can just pick the second point. Otherwise just get used to a lot of typing.

Login to Give a bone

I would check the elements in the CAD file to see if they are at the correct heights. Does the CAD file only contain point elevations or does it also have contour lines? Either way, said points and/or contour lines should all be at the correct elevation (or Z value). If not, tell whomever created the CAD file to get his/her head on straight and create the CAD file the right way.