Thread: Structural Revit w/o Architectural Model

Login to Give a bone

Question Structural Revit w/o Architectural Model

I was wondering if anyone has been using Revit as a consultant even if the architect is using AutoCAD and providing 2d .dwg bases?

If so, how are you managing base updates? Are you modeling all of the walls shown on the architect's drawings or just the structural ones?

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Structural Revit w/o Architectural Model

link the DWG, redraw the necessary walls/openings and do you r work.
    For coordination it's not worst then only having DWG's

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I have used Revit many many times when the Architect has been using AutoCAD.

I don’t see any reason why we cannot use Revit on a project where the Architect is using AutoCAD (or any other 2D platform for that matter) Revit can be used to gain a competitive edge over other consultants, so why not commit and use Revit on all buildings projects, rather than following others in the design team?

I follow 5 basic steps for set up, if the model is set up correct from the start, the process will be smooth.

1. Set up Grid Lines
    2. Set up levels
    3. Link CAD Files
    4. Begin to construct the model - Start with columns
    5. Continue constructing the model - Floor plates, beams, walls,

Working with CAD files does have its disadvantages; the coordination process is very much a manual / visual process as working in 2D with CAD, but this is how we used to do things, so it is nothing new to us...

I feel like users can get a much greater understanding of a project if they build a Revit model from scratch, based on CAD files rather than using an architectural Revit model as a base.

The copy / monitor tool takes away the ‘construction process’ and as a result the user will know a little less about the building and how it fits together, relying very much on the architects model. I can construct a Revit model just as fast (if not faster) when working with CAD files, because I spend less time working out what the Architect has done and why parts of the model are ‘fudged....’

After working both ways on numerous occasions now, I have to say, in all honesty. Providing the communication within the overall design team is good, I would much rather work with CAD files.

You can read more about this, on my blog post here http://revitst.blogspot.com/2011/02/...cad-files.html

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I have also done this method of working with an architect on CAD files only.

I would say that in some ways it uncomplicates the co-ordination process, although as mentioned already, is entirely visual. As long as good communication remains between disciplines, upgrades are clouded etc. its actually very easy and no different to the older process of overlaying an xref and visually checking.

I find building the model quite easy as you can snap to the lines anyways (eg snap a wall to the wall line in an xref) It is a little more stuffing about to begin with in some ways but made easier in other areas.

I have not seen any drawback to working with CAD files, more so just a different work method.

Login to Give a bone

I really appreciate the feedback guys thank you. I've been looking all over for workflow discussion so to see some of me initial thoughts reinforced here is encouraging.