Thread: Same section referenced from two different projects?

Login to Give a bone

Default Same section referenced from two different projects?

Can you have building sections in 2 different models reference the same section number & sheet?

I've got 2 buildings that are each their own Revit project. The buildings are similar and so many of the building & wall sections are the same. For example I want section A/4.10 to be called out in each building. But sheet 4.10 doesn't exist in one of the projects.

I can create a duplicate 4.10 sheet that I never use in the other model, but is there a cleaner way?

Thanks!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Same section referenced from two different projects?

No you cannot. Revit does not "reference" views from a linked file, let a lone a separate file.

Login to Give a bone

So Scott, it looks like you do quite a bit of multi-family work. How have you handled this situation where a single section applies to multiple buildings?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jon.200969 View Post
    Can you have building sections in 2 different models reference the same section number & sheet?

I've got 2 buildings that are each their own Revit project. The buildings are similar and so many of the building & wall sections are the same. For example I want section A/4.10 to be called out in each building. But sheet 4.10 doesn't exist in one of the projects.

I can create a duplicate 4.10 sheet that I never use in the other model, but is there a cleaner way?

Thanks!
    Scott is correct.

But there are workarounds.

I had a project that had 5 separate buildings; 5 separate Revit models, Buildings A, B, C, D & E. In the Building A model, I developed all my Building A specific sections and details, and also created project General/Typical sections and details (mostly drafting views, with a few live sections that would be typical to many of the buildings.) Section Sheet names with building specific information were suffixed with the corresponding letter of each building. Section Sheet names with Typical/General information carried no suffix. ie, S-501A was specific to Building A and S-501 was General/Typical to the entire project.

In each of the following buildings, I created dummy NO PLOT sheets with equivalent sheet numbers (S-501 <-- no suffix) and placed an equivalent number of (dummy) drafting views
    (all with a text note directing me to see Building A for correct detail) as the first building. When I cut sections using "reference other view" I could now reference to equivalent details as in the Building A model (though double clicking the sections in plan would get me the dummy drafting view with text that directed me to go look at S-501 in the Building A model.)

Since all 5 buildings were being submitted to the contractor as one project, this method seemed to work fine for us.