Thread: Copy / Paste between Revit Sessions

Login to Give a bone

Question Copy / Paste between Revit Sessions

Hello - i'm wondering if it's possible to copy items from one Revit Model into another if the projects are NOT open in the same session? For example i have a project with another project linked into it, and cannot open the linked project while it's being linked. So instead i opened the linked project in a NEW session of revit however when i select detail lines and notes to copy out of this project it will not let me paste them into my original project? Apparently Revit does not use the Windows Clipboard but it's own? I can very easily copy items between projects if they're both open in the same session of Revit, but is it possible to do so across different sessions? If anyone knows how to do this i'd love to know.

Thanks.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Copy / Paste between Revit Sessions

I've been trying to figure out the same thing myself.
    I've managed to hit a wall on this issue as well.

The more I use Revit, the more it seems that it tries to be "too smart" for it's own good.
    It doesn't leverage a lot of existing windows content but rather somehow does it in it's own "special" way. And when I say, "special", I don't mean it in a good way at all.

Take for example, the Properties Palette.

Another instance is this copy/paste functionality. If the programming of the user interface was smart. It would default to a normal clip-board functionality, unless we told it otherwise (just like in AutoCAD).

Login to Give a bone

You cannot copy across diffrent session in revit. for your situation with linked files, unload (not detach) the link then open it up in the same session then copy and paste away. once done close the linked file, and reload. this is the only way.

As highlander said. "there can only be one."

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I dont think copying from one session to another is always possible, however have you considered using Tab select to select objects within the linked project then you can copy and paste from the linked project to the current project.

If you are looking for particular annotative objects you can set the view to use the Linked View settings in the Visibility Graphics dialog box.

Login to Give a bone

Actually it is possible to copy and paste between projects just by using the clipboard tools, you should only select the item to copy and then you must go to the clipboard and select paste, that's all, best regards.

Login to Give a bone

I've found a lot of stupid issues with Revit, but this takes the cake. It's almost like they go out of their way to make the program as hard to use as possible. Can't copy paste? Seriously? Diazo machines are smarter than that.