See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Network causing AutoCAD performance issues?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Network causing AutoCAD performance issues?

Simple steps, have you tried running the machine(s) locally (unplugged from the network)? If so do you experience the same/better/worse speed from CAD? If the speed increases when handling files locally we can assume that its a network issue.

So we move on to:
    What spec is the server running the storage/Licence files? What speed is the network (i.e. 10mbps/100mbps/1000mbps) connection? Are the CAD machinces in a seperate network or VLAN? Has the admin imposed a bandwidth limit within your network to even out the throughput?

stu

Login to Give a bone

We have recently started running into similar issues. We're not on a WAN, but the addition of Win7 machines in combination with a server upgrade started generating so much DNS traffic that it was interrupting network flow.

You need to get some hard data on what traffic is flowing through your network.

Good luck,

Pat

Login to Give a bone

We have had the same issue in our environment (WAN around AU and Overseas) when we rolled out A2010. Autocad 2010 was sticky and did not perform very well. I would recommend you disable the InfoCenter. You can do this by editing the Autocad regkey InfoCenterOn – default value is one – set it to zero – this will disable the infocenter from being displayed on the top right hand corner of your application.

InfoCenterOn = 0

re. refer to some other tips http://lowercase0.wordpress.com/

Login to Give a bone

What type of network are you running? We have similar issues both through WAN and LAN.

Login to Give a bone

I know this thread is a little long in the tooth, but did you ever solve the performance problems you were having? Reason I'm asking is that your issues describe to a "T" what we are experiencing. The description of your company profile, machine specs, network configuration, Steelhead appliance use, licensing scenario and brands and types of software used are almost identical to ours. We have been looking at the problem from both the PC side and network side with no significant resolution. We have also experienced problems with design files going into "Read Only" during performance slowdowns. We have tried Windows & OS tweaks, replaced network switches, upgraded servers all to no avail. If you can shed ANY further insight I would greatly appreciate it. We have also engaged Autodesk as well as our vendor with no good answers there either. Thanks in advance.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Wow! I never saw any of these later posts! I don't know how I missed them. Thanks for all the replies, I have a lot of new things to try

j.pleunik, We never really did completely resolve this, little things here and there helped out here and there.

One of the larger complaints was performance with hatch patterns, we disabled the hatch context ribbon and restored the hatch double click for edit as it was in 2008. this was done with the procedues found in the attached documents (taken from other sites)

Another big complaint is first time MTEXT is used there is a large delay, after that, MTEXT works fine, haven't found a solution for this yet.

We do have issues where a user will be working on a file from a regional office to another regional office, and their overall performance is very bad, much worse than if the file was stored at our headquarters or on their local drive. I believe we have just assumed this to be due to the smaller network lines at the smaller offices. Usually when a user experiences very bad performance in these cases, I can call IT and they will indicate some large event (like video conferencing or someone travelling pulling all their e-mails to that regional office) is occuring.

I did mess with the licensing a little to extend timeouts which i found I may have set the value too high which may have caused some issue too. I have yet to set the timeouts back down to see if it helped.

Thank you for the response j.pleunik!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Strictly from a computer stand point.
    - Make sure Automatic Back up files are saved locally. (manual back up on server)
    - Make your licences on your Domain Controllers. ( since you have this server made already)
    -make a replicated file server. there is no reason you can't have 2 servers beside each other balancing traffic ( make them on a private network switch if you have to this will make them replicate with less traffic between each other.

- Localize blocks within LAN (Local area network) even if its just off some ones computer in the office.
    -make sure your main server only runs file services. email servers/website services slow down the process drastically.

that's what I got for you,

Login to Give a bone

Well this is kind of old, but we have recently ran into problems here in our office.

When upgrading from our cruddy 1gb switch to a 10gb switch. you think everything would run faster. More throughput.

However it caused serious problems with Autocad Civil 3d 2012. Opening files became unbearably slow, saving files became unbearably slow.

Any solutions out there?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

We use AutoCAD 2009 (network-based licensing) and we noticed similar issues relating to excessive chatter between the client & licence server (about 150 packets totaling 15,000 bytes every minute). Interestingly this chatter continues even if a licence were borrowed.

Further, I found that this problem does not exist in AutoCAD 2012.

Also, I might have a solution to this for the 2009 situation. On the client side, AutoCAD 2009 runs a service called "Autodesk Network Licensing Service"(AdskNetSrv.exe). It appears that disabling or uninstalling this service does not interfere with license acquisition, etc in any way. Importantly, it reduces traffic considerably (to about 3 packets totaling about 450 bytes per minute). You can uninstall this service from command line (your path may be different):

C:\> "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskNetSrv.exe" –uninstall

If something goes wrong, you can always reinstall the service with the "-install" switch.

I am unclear as to what this service (or "dis-service") this Autodesk Network Licensing Service is supposed to be doing.

Please let me know if anyone finds any issues when this service is uninstalled.

Thanks,
    kmxrw3

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I was wondering if I could get everybody's help.
    Our company has a the same issue right now with any flavor and any version of AutoCAD and it seems to perform slow on our WAN and with all of my research I have found something interesting with the versions 2012 and 2013.
    I used two programs to actually watch what AutoCAD does locally and over the network and I was astounded by how many program files AutoCAD looks for in the wrong place, so my research shows why it takes so long to just startup AutoCAD and why it takes so long to open, save, and print over a network.
    The two programs I used was Wireshark and Process Monitor and they both helped me show what was going on locally and across our network.
    For example when starting Civil 3D 2012 the process Acad.exe was looking for a plotter driver called hlr10.hdi and it looked for it in 34 different folders looking for it and this wasn't the only file it was looking for it was looking for fonts, *.dll, *.arx, *.lsp, this list goes on for a while but anyways my main point is that AutoCAD is roughly looking for about 20-50 different type of files in about 20-50 different folder locations and it can't find them therefore wasting a lot of time looking for files in the wrong place, now you take that times 80 users over a WAN and now I understand why it's slow.

I would love it if some of you could download Process Monitor and capture what AutoCAD does locally while just starting up, opening a file, saving a file, printing, and exiting AutoCAD and I would be curious if you get the same results of the process=acad.exe, operation=createfile, result=name not found. You can set a filter to only show this to make it easier to read.
    I used Wireshark to watch activity over our WAN but Process Monitor did the same thing but also captures what your local computer is doing also.
    If other users get the same results of AutoCAD looking for all of these files locally and/or over the network this might explain slow AutoCAD performance and will help me with a support case I have with Autodesk right now.

If anybody has any questions on how to use either of those programs let me know and I would be more than willing to help out.

Thanks
    Brent Morris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast