Thread: Linked Revit Models to Naviswork

Login to Give a bone

Talking Linked Revit Models to Naviswork

What is the best way to export a project that has 3 linked models. The project is composed of modules so no information is live in the actual project. All the information comes from the modules with the exception of the Shared coordinates. We use these modules over and over for multiple sites, so we can't have the shared coordinates live in the module. This is the reason we created a composite file linking and attaching the modules. Now we need to export the composite file to Navisworks, but it doesn't work well.

What we are doing is creating a separate composite file, binding all the linked modules and then exporting that to Navisworks. This process doesn't always works. We constantly get errors with some of the links and it won't bind that link.

We can export the file to DWG then link that into Navisworks, but our VDC guy doesn't want to do that because he looses information or shared coordinates don't come out exactly or he's just doesn't want to do it that way.

Any suggestions on other ways to export linked Revit files for use in Navisworks that have true shared coordinates?

Thanks,
    Aracely

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linked Revit Models to Naviswork

Quote Originally Posted by Aracely Thompson View Post
    What is the best way to export a project that has 3 linked models. The project is composed of modules so no information is live in the actual project. All the information comes from the modules with the exception of the Shared coordinates. We use these modules over and over for multiple sites, so we can't have the shared coordinates live in the module. This is the reason we created a composite file linking and attaching the modules. Now we need to export the composite file to Navisworks, but it doesn't work well.

What we are doing is creating a separate composite file, binding all the linked modules and then exporting that to Navisworks. This process doesn't always works. We constantly get errors with some of the links and it won't bind that link.

We can export the file to DWG then link that into Navisworks, but our VDC guy doesn't want to do that because he looses information or shared coordinates don't come out exactly or he's just doesn't want to do it that way.

Any suggestions on other ways to export linked Revit files for use in Navisworks that have true shared coordinates?

Thanks,
    Aracely
    I hate to tell you to upgrade, but linked files are now supported in Revit 2012 and Navis 2012.

With prior versions of the software, I would use my Obelisk trick. That is to say, place an object in each file at the work point and use that for alignment purposes.

Regards,