See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land Desktop 2004 install - Windows 7 with 64 bit CPU

Login to Give a bone

Default Land Desktop 2004 install - Windows 7 with 64 bit CPU

I am currently in a situation where have to upgrade my PC because my old one is toast.

So has anyone successfully installed Land Desktop 2004 on Windows 7 with a 64 bit processor???

I have seen both yes and no answers on the autodesk forum but really need to know!!!! I would hate to spend the money and then find out it's not compatible and then be left unable to do my work.

Sincerely,

rbrekke

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Land Desktop 2004 install - Windows 7 with 64 bit CPU

AFAIK - only Land Desktop 2009 will install OOTB.
    Older versions may install with some tweaking.... but I would test it personally before believing....

Here is one thought.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    AFAIK - only Land Desktop 2009 will install OOTB.
    Older versions may install with some tweaking.... but I would test it personally before believing....

Here is one thought.
    I also seen those threads but I also found on the autodesk forum as well. Apparently this user (see below) didn't have any problems. Unfortunately here is where my problems lye. I can't purchase this new PC and then find out the install doesn't work. Not sure why there is such conflicting user info regarding the install. I recently installed it on Windows 7 32 bit with no problems.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCA...al/m-p/2702543

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

A pretty sure fire way of getting it to work is to use XP Mode. Basically it's a virtual computer running XP that runs inside Win 7. Shouldn't notice any performance issues as long as you have decent hardware. It's a little bit of extra setup at the beginning, but at the end you can have an icon that will launch Land and run pretty seamlessly.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rbrekke7560 View Post
    So has anyone successfully installed Land Desktop 2004 on Windows 7 with a 64 bit processor???
    You said 64bit processor. A 64bit processor isn't an issue. It's if you want to run 64bit or 32bit Windows 7. Both will run fine on a 64bit processor. If you're just running LDT 2004 and not planning on upgrading to Civil 3D, then you can go with 32bit Windows 7. Then you shouldn't have any issues with it installing. If you do plan on upgrading then you may want to go with 64bit Windows 7, then you'll may need to use the XP Mode.

Also if you go for 32bit, then don't get more then 4gb of RAM for your new computer. Will be a waste of money.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rbrekke7560 View Post
    I can't purchase this new PC and then find out the install doesn't work. Not sure why there is such conflicting user info regarding the install. I recently installed it on Windows 7 32 bit with no problems.
    So why are you buying a machine with Win7x64?
    Why not get a new x86 machine and install Win XP or Win7x86 ?

It's generally considered best practice to purchase hardware and O/S to support the apps you want to (or need to) run - not the other way around.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    So why are you buying a machine with Win7x64?
    Why not get a new x86 machine and install Win XP or Win7x86 ?

It's generally considered best practice to purchase hardware and O/S to support the apps you want to (or need to) run - not the other way around.
    I do not have to purchase this machine but would like too. Especially because it was such a great deal.

I'm asking the question to see if it's possible to install and run LD 2004 successfully that's all. If the determination is that it's not a good idea then I'll look to a different O/S.

But thank you for your response.

Login to Give a bone

Get Win7-64 bit and at least 4 gig of ram.
    If your app won't work get virtualbox and install WinXP 32 bit and your app inside that.
    That way, you will be prepared for the future and still run you software from the past.

Login to Give a bone

or, go to the goodwill store, and pick up a decent dell XP box for $100. Heck, buy two at that price and have a spare to do everything else on. Not much benefit to a computer that's loaded with features you can't use -- and LDD 2004 doesn't take any real advantage of anything that's been developed in the PC industry since 2001 AD,

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    or, go to the goodwill store, and pick up a decent dell XP box for $100. Heck, buy two at that price and have a spare to do everything else on. Not much benefit to a computer that's loaded with features you can't use -- and LDD 2004 doesn't take any real advantage of anything that's been developed in the PC industry since 2001 AD,
    cadtag that's great all I need is sarcasm!!! Hard to believe that I'm the only AUGI user that doesn't have a choice and needs to use what they can for software.

Thanks again!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast