Thread: "Other Users have saved changes to the Central File"..Error Message

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default "Other Users have saved changes to the Central File"..Error Message

Me and my teammate are working on a Revit Project. I'm not having any problems but he gets a message all the time that says,

"Other users have saved changes to the Central File <File Location> since this file was opened. To save your changes to the central file, from the Application menu select Save As to create a new local file with a different name. Then select Synchronize with Central."

This occurs when he's just gotten back from lunch or a meeting and been away from his desk for a period of time. He seems to be saving to central often so I don't think he's doing anything wrong. I've been working in Revit for over 5 years and never had a team member have this issue.

Thanks,

Karen

All AUGI, all the time robert.manna's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Other Users have saved changes to the Central File"..Error Message

Sounds like the user is working in the Central File and not creating a local file.

Login to Give a bone

It does sound like that but I've watched him make his Local File. He navigates to the Central File and had the "Create Local File" box checked and saves a file to his C: Drive with a new name.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kmarquis View Post
    It does sound like that but I've watched him make his Local File. He navigates to the Central File and had the "Create Local File" box checked and saves a file to his C: Drive with a new name.
    After Create Local, he does another save? Are there multiple ways to navigate to the same location on the network? Could he be loosing network connectivity for some reason?

Login to Give a bone

As he's working he saves on a regular basis just fine. He saves with the reminders and before and after making major changes. The problem only occurs when he's stepped away from his computer. We could both be in a meeting, I'll go back to my desk and he'll go back to his and he gets the error message and I don't. Losing network connectivity is a good possibility.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kmarquis View Post
    As he's working he saves on a regular basis just fine. He saves with the reminders and before and after making major changes. The problem only occurs when he's stepped away from his computer. We could both be in a meeting, I'll go back to my desk and he'll go back to his and he gets the error message and I don't. Losing network connectivity is a good possibility.
    We too have experienced the same issue - with Local copy files and even while working in the Central Model file. (LAN access, in most cases, same scenario)
    What constitutes a "Losing network connectivity" issue in terms of latency etc? Also, I am expecting it is a Given, but what is the best practice for Revit models and dedicated server Requirements? Recommendations?
    (2-3 users, 2 sites - Large Scale project, Linked Files, regular iteration updates)

Thanks,
    Michael

Login to Give a bone

I was talking about latency in terms of loosing access, I was thinking that for some reason the computer is completely dropping the network connection, or there is a problem with the switch. Revit is actually pretty "latency tolerant" in terms of it will "work" in many conditions, it is usually the user who is not latency tolerant.