We have come accross an issue that I have not encountered before. We are working over a WAN and are using Revit Server, but not on this particular project for some reasons that I won't go into right now. We have noticed that if one team member borrows an object from a workset then that entire workset is checked out. The first user that borrowed an element needs to relinquish everything in order for another user to borrow an element, and them we have the same issue again. I know the sycronization between office servers can be slow at times, but we have even had this problem while working on the same office on the same server. The cental file was still located on our main server in another office, but both machines are running off the local server for that office. In order to effectively work in the file the user that needs to work in the file has been creating new worksets which is not an optimal means of working. This is creating a lot of extra work to sort out which workset these objects need to be moved to later.

We will be migrating the project over to our Revit Server ASAP, but we will have more users accessing the model soon.