Thread: project base point

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default project base point

I have one model linked into another, lets say B into A. The foot print of A changed slightly and the location of B needed to be adjusted. My first attempt was to adjust the project base point in B. I tried both moving it pined then unpinning it, moving it and re-pinning it. But none of those changes effected it's location in A. What am i missing? What settings in the manage>project location panel do i need to change to get this to work? Publish coordinates or Acquire coordinates, and from witch model A or B? Thanks.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: project base point

Bryan,
    When you move a Project Base Point, you're reassigning or referencing a 0,0,0 reference in the model. This does NOT reposition the linked position in another file. It sounds as if the two models were not constructed off the same origin point, so you will need to do manual positioning. Once in the desired place, PIN it. For a smaller project, this may be enough coordination and you can avoid the more complex use of Shared Coordinates.

If you choose to use Shared Coordinates, you need to make a project-wide decision of which file is going to be the 'source' file for coordinates, and all other files will then acquire the coordinate settings from it. In other words, if you decide that the Site is the source file, then:

If active in the Site file, manually position the building files and PUBLISH coordinates to each separate linked Revit building (name a location for each individually).

If active in an individual building file, manually position the Site model, and ACQUIRE coordinates from the linked Site.

In future, when you link the models together, choose By Shared Coordinates as your positioning choice.
    NOTE: Shared Coordinates is applied ONCE, so make a logical decision of which file is your source.

If you have access to the past AU sessions, look up Shared Coordinate sessions by both Steve Stafford and Teresa Martin - both have extensive explanations and conceptual examples to help clarify the concepts.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

They were constructed off the same origin point, I originally set them up. It's a lobby (A) with a wing (B) linked in and mirrored. The footprint of the lobby changed and the wings were moved manually. The problem is they were moved independently of each other (instead of fixing one side and re-mirroring it) and by different people in different disciplines. I was trying to avoid this by moving the location on the wing within it's self and having it relocate it's self in all of the other models. How could this have been avoided?
    I have access to AU online, but I couldn't find the past sessions. Can you post a link. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry, bryan, I just tried to search for the AU sessions as well, and the online classes search is useless. I'll see if I can find and post a link, but I won't be able to get to it today.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

That would be one of them! Thanks, Dimitri!
    Last edited by nancy.mcclure; 2011-04-25 at 07:14 PM. Reason: user error (spelling)