Thread: Roof Problem

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I've been trying to figure out how to make this roof for some time now. I'm new to Revit and would appreciate and assistance you can offer.

1) I'm have trouble getting the ridges to work on the main part of the house. The majority of them are right; however, I'm having problem where the main entrance extend to the roof above. How do you cut out this part of the roof?

2) I modelled a roof by extrusion to get the curve for the hip roof at the main entrance. How do I cut this curve so that it stops at the hip roof, and the fascias to join?

I'm attaching an a jpeg of the roof plan that was done in autocad. I'm also attaching a Revit drawing of what I have so far. Any help and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Howard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Roof Problem

Try joining geometry tool (next to the 'offset' button) you need to make the barrel vault shorter in length so that when you do join them the remaining length will not stick-out beyond the back...

Login to Give a bone

Revitlution,

Thanks for your response. I was able to shorten the barrel vault, and then I used the "Join Roofs" command to have the barrel vault extend to the hip. Now the only proble is that I need to delete the hip roof below it and fix the fascias.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Login to Give a bone

Well, I'm not quite sure that I understand what you want to do... Since once you delete the Hip below where the barrel is connected... then the barrel would be suspended in midair!?!? So what's supporting it?

But anyways, in order to do a custom piece like that, you would need to learn how to create a component with the 'Family Editor' (a modeling tool built into Revit) To do that requires training and I'm still learning that as I go along. You can get a basic understanding in the tutorial which shows you how to create a custom family (component).

It can get frustrating, but don't give up. One thing I learned is that whenever you do anything custom with Revit, you must build the piece in the 'Family Editor.' This alone can take anywhere from a few minutes to hours depending on your detail level. But once you spend that 'extra-time' building it - you will be able to use your custom piece anywhere in your future projects. (Similar to a 'block' in AutoCAD)

You can goto this site: www.rugi.org They have many many custom built components from furniture to roofs to window/doors etc... maybe you can find something you're looking for that someone already built; instead of reinventing the wheel.

Hope you find this tip useful...

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Revitlution for your help!

I figured out that by using the Opening command (under the Modelling tab) I was able to cut out the roof at the main entrance of the house. Now the only problem I have is getting all of the ridges and valleys to work.

Once again, any help our suggestions that any of you have would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Another way to go is In-Place Voids
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Trowzer,

That's the look I'm going for. How did you go about creating the in-place void. Would you mind giving me the step-by-step process you used?

Login to Give a bone

For the in-place void itself:
    1. Modelling... create... generic model (give it a name).
    2. Solid... extrude.. set work plane (facia of curved roof)... & pick lines (top edge of curved roof).
    6. Finish sketch.
    4. Select new object and change it to a void.
    5. Carry the void far enough into the main roof to intersect the main roof.
    6. Cut roof geometry with new void.
    7. Finish family

The white facia is a sweep.

Login to Give a bone

Trowzer,

Thanks for the info. I was able to get the roof to work.