Thread: Valve symbols dissapear when rotating valve

Login to Give a bone

Default Valve symbols dissapear when rotating valve

We have various valve symbols which we want to use for our valves under medium detail level. I have created the symbol, inserted it into the valve family, and set all of the visibility settings as required. The symbol works well and scales correctly with the view scale.

The problem is that symbols can only be placed in the floor plan / ref level. This means that when you insert the valve into a pipe, and then press the rotate button to rotate the valve allong the pipe axis, the valve symbol dissapears.

Having symbols that dissapear can be a dangerous thing. Does anyone know of a workaround?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Valve symbols dissapear when rotating valve

If you "modeled" your symbolic lines in the ref view of your family, those will only show if the view you are placing the family into is exactly parallel to the view of the family.
    I just confused myself.
    Does that make sense?
    If I drew symbolic lines in a section view of a family those can only be seen from an elevation view in the project (if I didn't rotate it across the X, Y axis).

Login to Give a bone

The problem with using symbolic lines is that the symbols would not scale per the view. The default revit blocks use model lines, so that it shows in 3d, but the problem is that the smaller valves become just blobs at 1:100 or so.

I also just noticed that my valve symbols do not appear if the pipe is sloped.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tuitvlugt View Post
    The problem with using symbolic lines is that the symbols would not scale per the view.
    They won't if you put the symbolic lines on your own sub-category. They do if you use the family category.

Quote Originally Posted by tuitvlugt View Post
    I also just noticed that my valve symbols do not appear if the pipe is sloped.
    That is because the pipe is not parallel to the view. You are pretty much screwed on that one.
    I cannot remember if there is a workaround for this. You could create a new family at the angle of the pipe. Actually I think it will angle the valve in addition to the angle of the pipe.
    Looks like your drawing that valve with detail lines