Thread: Updating Clash Reports

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Updating Clash Reports

Let me preface this post by saying that my teams are working exclusively in Revit. There are no other software platforms involved in our in-house clash detection procedures. Our workflows, processes, and custom search sets have been built around Revit and nothing else.

What I am most curious about is the ways in which subsequent clash tests are updated after changes have been made in the Revit model. I have done some googling and all I've discovered are some convoluted procedures that seem to involve a lot of "Save As" and switching, replacing, and renaming files.

As of right now, clash tests are performed in an .nwd file that includes the date of the test. That file contains both a custom search set XML and a custom clash test XML. I have been able to "see" the results of resolved clashes by creating another .nwd file, importing the clash test XML, and running each batch again. Clashes that registered in the first .nwd that were resolved in the Revit model no longer appear. So I've been able to see the drop in number of clashes but I am not sure if there is a logical way to make Navisworks retain all of the clashes from the initial .nwd but mark them "resolved" in the next .nwd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Updating Clash Reports

Why are you using nwd rather than nwf? If you use nwf the nwc's will update whenever you open the file or refresh and all the resolved clashes will stay.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david.kingham View Post
    Why are you using nwd rather than nwf? If you use nwf the nwc's will update whenever you open the file or refresh and all the resolved clashes will stay.
    Didn't know that....thanks....

So would dated .nwd files be pushed out of the .nwf? I have to have a way to track clash tests chronologically.

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, that's how I share the model with consultants, publish an nwd and even set an expiration date of when you know the file will be updated so they can't open an older model

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david.kingham View Post
    Yes, that's how I share the model with consultants, publish an nwd and even set an expiration date of when you know the file will be updated so they can't open an older model
    I'll change my plan of attack. Thanks for your help.

Login to Give a bone

You may find that even though the NWC helps keep updated with the changes to the model/clashes it still depends on the modeler to use proper procedure. For instance, if they delete that duct causing the clash and create a new one, then your clash will show resolved. Instead, you will get a new clash with the new duct and the same pipe if error still occurs. In some cases this can't be helped, but make sure they understand how they model affects your speed and ability to track their changes.