Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheet Notes - Workflow

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Sheet Notes - Workflow

On smaller jobs normally I use a sheet of notes (specifications). To achieve what I have here in the attachment I created it within Autocad - then created a PDF file. Imported the PDF file into Photoshop - made a JPEG out of it and then imported it into Revit. The sharpness and quality was excellent.

I tried everything that one would think would work. Linking an Autocad file, importing a Word file into the extension - Text Generator, etc. No matter what I did the formatting would be buggy BIG TIME.

Has anyone found a better - reliable workflow? Will we every be able to do this in Revit without the ridiculous workflow I just went thru. A day wasted.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sheet Notes - Workflow

The flow that I would think would work is create drafting view, link in dwg to drafting view, place drafting view on sheet. My crude testing seems to work fine. I'm assuming you already had this created in AutoCAD where if you didn't, why not just create in Revit. What exactly is getting messed up? Can you post a file to test?

Login to Give a bone

Create a text style just for those notes as well..... If you tweak a text style later it will screw up all the formating you had in place... just a simple change to bold can mess up the format of the indents.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Please try to create something similar with all the "stepped idents" and "spacing" within a drafting view. When you activate and do several random clicks of the mouse the indents and returns start to jump all over. To me it appears Revit can not handle the "hard returns" along with the "stepped idents". I even tryed creating each section as a seperate drafting view. No luck.

Yes what you are saying sounds like what you would do - it definately is not working for me. If you have an example that is working please post. I believe it is a Windows thing.

Thank you.

Dick Barath

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Michael:

Your idea sounds interesting have not had a chance to try it - will shortly.

I have attached a good example of what I am talking about. Take the first "Note" in drafting views and click on it and you will see the idents start jumping all around. The results will be similar to "Note - 2."

This file has been purged completely - so theoretically there is only one text style. However I will start from scratch and try your suggestion.

Regards

Dick Barath
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by barathd View Post
    ... To me it appears Revit can not handle the "hard returns" along with the "stepped idents"...
    I'd have to agree with this as well. If you use a shift+enter to get a space between your numbered paragraphs... Revit converts it to an regular Enter and you get a number between paragraphs which is unacceptable so you have to tolerate no visual separation between paragraphs or use AutoCAD with linking.

See attached for my simplistic example that seems to work fine with linking to drafting view.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Just tried opening your file and discovered your on 2012, I'm on 2011. So maybe there's a difference there.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by DoTheBIM View Post
    I'd have to agree with this as well. If you use a shift+enter to get a space between your numbered paragraphs... Revit converts it to an regular Enter and you get a number between paragraphs which is unacceptable so you have to tolerate no visual separation between paragraphs or use AutoCAD with linking.

See attached for my simplistic example that seems to work fine with linking to drafting view.
    You are probably correct. My problem is that if I follow your suggestion my clients (consultants) look at me as if I were an idiot. Not everyone knows how to use Revit but most people do know how to use a word processor - "you got to be kidding - or you are an idiot" is the normal reaction and correctly so.

The Factory has buillt a race car with a plush leather interior and no brakes and continues to keep driving it.
    Last edited by barathd; 2011-05-05 at 04:01 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I've had similar problems with Revit's text function to what you described with the returns, indents, etc. Simply put, the Revit Text tool sucks. It sucks a lot. It has sucked for as long as I've been using Revit and every version seems to have the same problems. Hopefully, at some poitn, Autodesk will hear us and fix the problem.

For now, I've made it clear to my project managers what an issue putting specs onto a drawing sheet can be. As such, they've agreed to hold off on placing any specs onto the drawing sheets until the specs are complete, triple-reviewed and the drawings are about to be stamped and go out. This way I only have to deal with the formatting nightmare once instead of over and over. Obviously, its not perfect, but right now, it's the best I can hope for.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by brendand472306 View Post
    I've had similar problems with Revit's text function to what you described with the returns, indents, etc. Simply put, the Revit Text tool sucks. It sucks a lot. It has sucked for as long as I've been using Revit and every version seems to have the same problems. Hopefully, at some poitn, Autodesk will hear us and fix the problem.

For now, I've made it clear to my project managers what an issue putting specs onto a drawing sheet can be. As such, they've agreed to hold off on placing any specs onto the drawing sheets until the specs are complete, triple-reviewed and the drawings are about to be stamped and go out. This way I only have to deal with the formatting nightmare once instead of over and over. Obviously, its not perfect, but right now, it's the best I can hope for.
    Triple checking does not do a lot of good when (inevitably) someone makes a change. As you say the "text editor" is a piece of **** and continually gets ignored (8 years and counting).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast