Thread: Revit 2011 freezes on splash screen

I could stop if I wanted to Exar Kun's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2011 freezes on splash screen

So, I have a couple of very trying issues on two different computers.

Firstly - I was working with Revit 2011 this morning, left my PC and came back 5 minutes later to find the computer had frozen. Odd but not unknown to happen with a Windows PC. So I do a hard reboot (ctrl-alt-del doesn't work) and find that whenever I try to load Revit 2011 the PC freezes after about 30 seconds with Revit still just on its splash screen. I'm totally locked out except for mouse movement but can't select anything and am forced to do a hard reboot.

I've tried repairing Revit & reinstalling Revit but to no avail. Everytime I try to start Revit 2011 my computer freezes. Revit 2012 loads just fine but we are not switching to that release for another couple of months.

System is fairly old running Windows XP but hasn't had any issues before today when I was working with a very small file and the program just packed up...

Second issue that i'll just sneak in here - this time with Revit 2012 on my laptop. It failed during the install process but when I try to reinstall it the installer insists the program is already installed. Meanwhile, I can't uninstall it because Windows doesn't think it's installed!! So I can't get the program onto the computer...

Any help with either would be much appreciated. I'm going to start tearing my hair out soon.

I could stop if I wanted to Baldwin_4-6-0's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2011 freezes on splash screen

I know this doesn't help right now, but you will probably need to upgrade your OS very soon. XP is getting a bit old to run these newer/larger Revit versions with stability.

Login to Give a bone

I could stop if I wanted to Exar Kun's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately this problem has escalated quite a bit which leads me to believe there must be some hardware issue that only affects Revit 2011.

I tried everything to get it working but to no avail. System restores failed. The uninstaller for Revit failed and when I tried to reinstall I got the issue where the Revit installer told me it was already installed but Windows said it was not so it was impossible to go anywhere from there. Now, today, as a last ditch effort, I've formatted my computer. Everything going sweetly until I try to install Revit 2011 and about halfway through the install process the computer hangs. Revit 2011 is the only program with a problem. I've tried installing from both a deployment and from the disc. Revit 2012 works fine but we use plug-ins for 2011 that aren't yet available for 2012 so just switching isn't easy.