See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Sauron

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project Sauron

We need to model the caverns below the lair. It's a pretty large space - like a couple of stories tall and a few hundred feet deep. It tapers (below the lair) but then opens up into a pretty large area.

Lots of equipment planning, some energy generation (via geothermal transfer). We also need to design a dock / loading area that leads from the cavern through a cave opening. We'll need plenty of space to park subsurface and surface craft (ships and subs).

And there's some really big stalactites hanging from the roof of the cavern. We don't want to damage them. If one of them comes lose it makes a real mess. So we need to model them and so we can design around them.

We've got the topography modeled. Any suggestions for carving out the cavern complex from the topography?

Thanks -

-Mort

I could stop if I wanted to Exar Kun's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Won't your boss be angry that you're sharing the insides of his lair on the internet - free for all the governments of the world to see? I hate to image the kind of punishment that could incur.

Login to Give a bone

It's not enough to know what something is. You also have to know where it is and when it is. >:

Anyway - figured out the caverns using site tools. Nice mock up of sub in the distance.

Next problem: we're in the middle of designing a monorail system that goes from the fortress in two directions 1) down to the lagoon and 2) to the launch pad. It's about a 200metre drop from the fortress to sea level. So a pretty steep fall down to the beach area.

Basically the Lord and Master uses fishing to help him relax. We're also planning to train the sharks in the lagoon. Anyway - it's a really steep walk, so the monorail will come in handy.

Ideas?

-Mort
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MortimerV; 2011-05-24 at 02:42 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Lagoon? Launch pad? Sharks? I can't be of much help there but man this thread sure is interesting to say the least.

Login to Give a bone

Well - sharks or robot sharks. Henchmen haven''t decided yet. Real sharks are cheaper, but a PITA to train. Robot sharks are really cool. Fully articulated with solid titanium teeth and skin. Very, very fast. One word: supercavitation.

Getting a bit desperate on the monorail track thing. I really don't want to put this together piece by piece because it'll make design changes will be a really difficult. One end of the track needs to go up the hill. The other end points down to the lagoon.

Attached sketch should give an idea of what we need.

Also - structural supports need to occur every 20meters or so. Suggestions welcome.

Cheers -

- Mort

Login to Give a bone

You'd be surprised what you'll come up with when stressed for a solution. This morning, Lord and Master informed us all that he would drop our Tivo down a thermal vent unless we figured the monorail design problem out by end of day. Did I mention that said Tivo contained the Oprah's farewell episode?

It's a hack, but a simple one. And design changes are straightforward. We're going to use the same process to build a 20meter electrified fence that follows the topography. You'd be surprised how high a ****** off t-rex can jump.

Never eat lunch in front of a hungry t-rex. Not unless you want to find out how high they can jump. Just sayin.

-Mort

Login to Give a bone

Please share your methods, I'd love be able to have 3D fences that follow my site topography.

I could stop if I wanted to Baldwin_4-6-0's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ok, Your Boss is either Dr Evil creating his new Island Lair,
    or your boss is Benjamin Linus from New Otherton and is planning the next Dharma Station "The LARPer".

Very interesting post.

Login to Give a bone

Hi All -

Thanks the comments. I find it interesting that you all don't seem to think this is a real project. I hope you're sitting down.

Still tweaking the cave entrance and existing conditions. Important thing is we need to make sure "stuff" fits. You'd be surprised what you can buy from ousted despot that needs to quickly liquidate assets.

The bluish box at the right side of the interior view is the preliminary structure for the lift system.

At first we were all excited about having our own sub. But then we found out it hadn't been used in a few years. Needless to say it needs quite an airing out. Smells like the cross between a teenager's bedroom and NYC subway.

But still - it looks cool sitting in the "driveway".

-Mort

Login to Give a bone

For sure, wouldn't want to break off any stalactites during mooring and station keeping maneuvers.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast