See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Sauron

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project Sauron

Quote Originally Posted by MortimerV View Post
    (ahem...not that we don't have unlimited resources)

-Mort
    If you really wanna save money, eliminate all those handrails. I don't believe OSHA has any jurisdiction over private lairs, secret or otherwise. Think of it as a way to thin the herd. When it comes to henchmen and minions, don't you want the best of the best?

I could stop if I wanted to Exar Kun's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    hey I bet Revit could have its place in movie set design, if it doesn't already.
    Indeed, after a presentation at a certain recent Revit Technology Conference, I can imagine a certain Revit luminary could tell us a lot about set design in Revit and those movies that it has already been used in...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    hey I bet Revit could have its place in movie set design, if it doesn't already.
    I know of Fantastic Four and Watchman... There was a class at AU about it...
    http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=5389
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

What are all those walkways for? Are the henchmen just marching round and round?
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sbrown View Post
    What are all those walkways for? Are the henchmen just marching round and round?
    Master probably likes them marching in formation....
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Couple of project views from today's efforts.

First - sticking with the structural columns rather than tension system of cables. It'll also help with the lift system down into the cavern area (see attached wire frame). So as you can see there's a pretty substantial structural core going down through to the sea bed below.

Second - quick rendering of the sphere (dubbed "SFear" - hey - I just help with the design...I don't make up the names for stuff) without the cladding. Looks kinda cool without all the walls. This view is taken from the beginning of the lower run of the monorail system and looks into the docking area.

Pity we have to skin the structure in 6" thick steel plate. We were hoping to go with 1/2" thick "Unobtanium", but apparently Steve Jobs needs it for his next versions of the iPad and iPhone.

Oh - and we crushed the Henchmen in volleyball. Heh.

-Mort
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to Exar Kun's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cdatechguy View Post
    I know of Fantastic Four and Watchman... There was a class at AU about it...
    I Robot was the first one I heard about many years ago.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Ok a few things I wanted to comment about.

Firstly - your monorail support system looks a little if-ie. I'd be concerned about the support stability especially as the monorail makes a high G turn around the outside of the mountain causing all the force and torsion at the outside where there is no support. My suggestion would be more direct support underneath the rail and shift it support from peak to peak, of course this opens up panoramic views rather than one side being obstructed by mountain. On the downside it also leaves you open to air based missile attacks from both sides, but I think a couple of well place SAM sites ought to solve that problem for you.

Secondly, your walkway system is entirely possible without columns, if you use some pretty serious reinforced concrete beams I think you'll get that span to work, if you absolutely must go with steel, two chunky splices at 3rd points ought to get you home, a couple of cables wouldnt go astray but you can do without them. I also agree about the point for the handrails at least around the walkways. Think of it this way, if you're having some kind of light based weapon fight on a walkway, you want at least one of the opponents to have the possibility of falling off, preferrably in two pieces, and a handrail will limit you there. Just throwing it out there.

The other concern I have is that you seem to have chosen a nukalar (yes its that way on purpose) submarine, Im thinking should this bad boy go up then you're going to need some kind of shielding especially underneath your structure. Consider maybe parking your sub in a separate sub-terranian leh-yar, I'm thinking some of the new Martin Jet Packs (google it) will get you easily from there to your base, and perhaps a nice open landing pad built off the side for ease of egress/access with the jetpacks. Oh and given the nautical nature of your project you should consider some of these flying jet-ski's known as an Icon-A5 also perfect for minions to fly because they would be easily shot down, thus granting your enemy easy targets rather than shooting at the important people.
    http://www.wired.com/cars/futuretran...01/mf_icon_air
    Last edited by karalon10; 2011-06-03 at 06:29 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Karalon -

All good comments. The supports for the monorail are about 15 metres apart. It's not a high speed system - and underneath support is tough because the cliffs are really shear. There's no underneath, so we have to cantilever the support. Just a single cab (or maybe one for each direction). Not a lot of weight and not too fast will keep down the g-forces. The obstruction is is intentional - it'll give a great "reveal" of the cove and bay below when it makes the right turn to go down to the shoreline.

Steel has corrosion issues, but easier to prefab and assemble on site. At least we'll be able to get to the rust. Sometimes those tensioned cable concrete systems suddenly fail from unseen weeping and salt water.

Love the idea about the optional handrails. Did some research and there's really no "OSHA" regulations for Evil Lairs. But then it turns out that the Henchman are mostly unionized - so the handrails need to stay put. Seems silly. When these things blow up, the kind of blow up in a way that having handrails really don't make that much of a difference.

The sub is just for sizing. We were going to try to keep it (Lord and Master got a sweet deal) but it suffered months of neglect. It's been weeks and we can't get the smell out. And two or three smaller ones are probably more practical.

Love the jet packs - but their glide ratio is just about zero. And they don't look menacing enough. You know what does look menacing though? Flying monkeys. A sky full of flying monkeys will scare the bejezus out of anyone.

What I could really use some help on is modeling stuff for the lair. We're able to make this ourselves - but there's only so much time. I'm looking all over for content and nothing is available. Even checked Revit City. Nada. This is just a short list of the entourage we need by the next deadline which needs to be created in Revit:

• Death Rays / Surface to Air Missiles Battery
    • Firing Range
    • Space Plane and Launch Pad
    • Smaller, Faster Submersables
    • Thermal Vents and Piping
    • Arcade / Breakroom / Vending Machines
    • Samurai Swords
    • Monorail Cab (with seating for 10-12)
    • Medical Bay / Equipment
    • Machine Shop / Tooling / Welding
    • Professional Kitchen / Equipment
    • Jetpack / Exoskeleton Prototypes (just for testing purposes - not production)
    • "Bookcase" Doors
    • Robotic Sharks (preferably fully articulated) and w/ separate tanks (long story)
    • Alarm System with Sentry Detection and Autofire
    • Radar and Microwave Dishes
    • Gym Equipment and Showers

The list goes on and on (we haven't even touched on the geothermal energy transfer systems). None of this stuff is on the install disc for Revit. We've checked - go figure. Great design tool - but the out of the box content is basically useless for our type of specialty design work.

If anyone has content along these lines please post. If it's really good we might use it. In return we could try to put in a good word for you with the TSA. Turns out the Homeland Security Director in the US is distantly related to our Lord and Master. From what I've gathered it's a strained relationship and they don't really speak. Apparently she's considered evil even by his standards.

-Mort

Login to Give a bone

Need something like this:
    Michael "MP" Patrick

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast