See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Basic Dimension Question

Login to Give a bone

Default Basic Dimension Question

As I'm the only drafter at this site, and just out of school, I admit that I'm still shaky on some of the general practice stuff... especially when I have people telling me to ignore it. So without someone else to ask my basic questions to, I turn to the internet....

I'm working on a sheet set (approx. 13 pages right now) and have pipes that extend from one sheet to the next (in section views- multiple sections, same pipe the extends across, I was just showing the transitions at either end of the pipe). I remember you aren't supposed to over-dimension, or dimension the same thing twice, so if i give pipe A in section A on sheet 1 an elevation A, do I need to place elevation A in section B on sheet 2 on pipe A? Or does the elevation for pipe A need to be called out in every instance? (Does this even make sense?)

I guess a basic way of saying it is, if I place the elevation on the drawing once, do I need it on any other sheet in the set?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Basic Dimension Question

Quote Originally Posted by myoung View Post
    As I'm the only drafter at this site, and just out of school, I admit that I'm still shaky on some of the general practice stuff... especially when I have people telling me to ignore it. So without someone else to ask my basic questions to, I turn to the internet....

I'm working on a sheet set (approx. 13 pages right now) and have pipes that extend from one sheet to the next (in section views- multiple sections, same pipe the extends across, I was just showing the transitions at either end of the pipe). I remember you aren't supposed to over-dimension, or dimension the same thing twice, so if i give pipe A in section A on sheet 1 an elevation A, do I need to place elevation A in section B on sheet 2 on pipe A? Or does the elevation for pipe A need to be called out in every instance? (Does this even make sense?)

I guess a basic way of saying it is, if I place the elevation on the drawing once, do I need it on any other sheet in the set?
    That's how I ended up here, too.

I can't say what a production office would say about 'best practices' on this, but, I can say what an end user would prefer (assuming your plans might end up in the hands of some type of maintenance or engineering personnel)... they end user would prefer the information on each sheet.

A building is built. Then one part of the building needs to be renovated. The plan monkey (that'd be me) would find the applicable project, and print out a sheet for the maintenance guy or engineer that applies to that area only.
    We wouldn't want to have to view and/or print multiple drawings to get basic information.

My $0.02.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

In theory, engineering draughting standards say that any dimension should be stated only once but, to avoid any chance of critism, repeat the dimension on other sheets but surround the value with brackets - (dimension) - making it a "reference" dimension.
    People on site won't care about the brackets but they will be pleased to see the value.

Login to Give a bone

We try not to repeat dimensions if possible. However, we do make sure the plans have all the dimensions and elevations needed. And some information is duplicated from plan to plan (level to level). But vertical views such as elevations and sections read "SEE PLAN" (or some other reference). The point is, if you have the plan sheet for a particular level, you should be able to get the information you need. And of course you could always grab the plan and section sheets for a particular level.
    In your case where you have something divided up with match lines on several sheets, I would assume the information should repeat so if you only have that one sheet, you could get the information you need.

My 5 cents... (bonus plan)

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Basic Dimension Question

Thanks for the input. It was driving me a little crazy trying to figure it out on my own, everything you both said has been floating around in my head. For clarity, it would be better to have it on each sheet, but it was kinda killing me to put it in more than one location. I hadn't even thought about making it a reference dimension. That's brilliant! Advice like this from other CAD people is definitely what helps me keep my sanity around here.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Stupid question time: sloped pipe? If so, then elevation at every support point on every drawing, even if its just "field to shim as required".

In my experience "Never more than one location" usually refers to multiple views of the same object on the same sheet. For example, with a pipe dropping out of a rack on both a front and side elevation on the same drawing, you either align the views and put a common elevation string between them, or lable the BOP (and/or TOS) on the view which best presents the information visually. Depending on the support methods you could even get away with labeling a common BOP and only note the pipes which are different.

Once built, there may be many smaller projects which need the information. Not much point in having to sign out every drawing, especially if another project already has the neighboring sheet(s) for a separate project. Project managers get a little cranky when they have to start searching drawings for untracked information "Is the elevation on this drawing? Hmmm no... this one?... no. Screw it, I'm signing out the entire set, the designers can track it down..."

Login to Give a bone

Actually I have no clue what the heck is going on with it now. I have recently learned that we don't have an engineer working on anything for this pipe layout at all and they make changes and never inform me. I've heard that it's suppose to be completely level from point A to point B, that it's suppose to drop 14 feet from point A to point B then jump back up 6.5 feet to point C, sloped or horizontal, I just don't know.

Thanks for all the advice, this place has _no_ standards whatsoever so it's me working alone trying to figure out what common practice is. AUGI users give me peace of mind!!!