See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Detach Leader From Mtext

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Detach Leader From Mtext

Hello AUGI Members,

When using the Qleader command leaders and Mtext are placed that are associated with each other....move the text and the leader will follow. Is there a way to detach the leader from the text at the time it is placed on the drawing....??

Right now I am using the Express tools .qldetachset command after the leader and Mtext have been placed.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Vinny

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Detach Leader From Mtext

I'm not aware of any setting to turn that off (maybe I just haven't heard of one).

What I usually do is just copy the leader, erase the "associated" one and place the copied one in it's place... then copy the mtext and leader(s) over and over for what ever I need.

Login to Give a bone

Try the qldetachset command.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

RenderMan,

Thank you for your response.....!

I am already using the qldetachset command after the leader and Mtext string is placed on the drawing However, I am trying to perform the detach operation automatically without the user having to run the qldetachset command manually.

Do you know of any other way to accomplish this....?? basically I want the ability to dis-associate the leaders from the Mtext ....!

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Vince

Login to Give a bone

Could you use the old leader command instead?

DIM
    LEA

Has to be from the command line, though.

Login to Give a bone

ok I am confused. Why are you detaching the leader from the text? Also, we dont use "qleader" since AutoCAD came out with Multileaders. You might try using that to get the desired results.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by knelson.160344 View Post
    ok I am confused. Why are you detaching the leader from the text? Also, we dont use "qleader" since AutoCAD came out with Multileaders. You might try using that to get the desired results.
    I can't speak for others but I don't like having the leaders attached, it causes me all kinds of headaches and there's never been a benefit to me to have them associated, I've tried.

For one thing, it doesn't allow you to manipulate the distance from the text to the first bend, which I do allot. With associated leaders, you are given that distance and you are only left with end of the leader to manipulate. If you have a tricky place to sneak in a leader and still want to line up your text and make it look nice, you may need to stretch the distance from the text to the bend in the leader.

Of course that is my opinion, it's worked great for 15+ years.
    Maybe some day I will look into multi leaders when I'm forced to .

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I can't speak for others but I don't like having the leaders attached, it causes me all kinds of headaches and there's never been a benefit to me to have them associated, I've tried.

For one thing, it doesn't allow you to manipulate the distance from the text to the first bend, which I do allot. With associated leaders, you are given that distance and you are only left with end of the leader to manipulate. If you have a tricky place to sneak in a leader and still want to line up your text and make it look nice, you may need to stretch the distance from the text to the bend in the leader.

Of course that is my opinion, it's worked great for 15+ years.
    Maybe some day I will look into multi leaders when I'm forced to .
    Ok I came across this post from 2011 (someone gave me some reps, thanks), and now I'm taking my words back. I use Multileaders all the time now.
    I moved to a company in 2016 that uses them exclusively, and all the styles needed in the company templates.
    Im not sure what my problem was before, but you CAN manipulate the landing length which seemed to be one of my issues.

I've not had much of a problem fitting mleaders/mtext where I need it even in tricky places.
    What drives me nuts are people who use hard returns in the text so you can't easily manipulate it after.
    It's ok on occasion to do a hard return if it serves a purpose, but to simply hit return to fit it in a place (vs stretching the text box) hurts my feelings.