See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Nostromo 2011

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nostromo 2011

Anyone know if you can completely disable that, or if it just has an offline fallback? It sounds like something that would be nice to have as an option, but kind of sketchy as default behavior. But hey, if you aren't using the cloud, then ... obviously, you are not a golfer? shrug

Also, that Orbweaver looks pretty, and I love that it's so adjustable... but where's the scroll wheel? I'd be lost without one.

For reference, that's because my right-hand input device is an Intuos 2 (small). Can scroll-wheel-zoom with that without taking my left off of the Nostromo n52e.

Also also, started out ~9 years ago using a Wacom Graphire (3?) and the old Nostromo N (I think? The one w/ lots of orange...). The graphire is still in a closet somewhere, but the old Nostromo didn't fare as well.

Login to Give a bone

Ooops, my mistake

I forgot that Map 6 is not assigned to a button and the only way to it is via the scroll wheel which I don't like.
    So I have re-mapped the wheel to the default which is zoom in/out but wheel press switches to map 6.
    Here is is……….

Nos Revit Keymaps v2-1.jpg

….and as a bonus, here is the Excel file I used to create it, also there are list of keyboard shortcuts and a handy reminder sheet with the shortcuts coded by category in the file too.

Revit Nostromo Keymaps v2-1.xlsx

Hopefully some may find it useful.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by StDoodle View Post
    Anyone know if you can completely disable that, or if it just has an offline fallback?
    So far...in playing with it yesterday and this morning, the Offline mode is the only way.
    Like I said earlier though, you can Export Profiles and Macros to a local file, I'll pop mine on memory stick as a back up just in case.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    but WHY ?!
    I'm with Cadtag on this.
    A definite case of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".
    Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree but for me it's not a show stopper.

"but WHY?"....well probably the same reason AutoDesk take all rights to your drawings/models etc if you upload them to their cloud AutoDesk 360 "To be in Control."

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by adriansmith725640 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree but for me it's not a show stopper.

"but WHY?"....well probably the same reason AutoDesk take all rights to your drawings/models etc if you upload them to their cloud AutoDesk 360 "To be in Control."
    I'll give Autodesk credit for fixing that horrible mistake. the current Terms of Service for 360 are quite clear that autodesk does not claim ownership or any rights (other than what is actually needed to provide the service) with any files, drawings, modesl, etc loaded onto the 360 service. the original ToS were pretty atrocious - and after enough push back, the lawyers were reined in a little.

For me, much as the Hex looks like a useful tool, the requirement to go online and register at all, much less load any information to their servers, IS a dealbreaker. Hell, given the trivial price of flash memory, a micro-sd card inside the mouse would be more than adequate to hold any amount needed for mapping and functionality.

And the notion that i should register and sign up to download software that is only useful if I've already purchased the device is onerous in the extreme, and beyond asinine. Frankly, it's none of their g##d##m business what I do with the devices I own

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    And the notion that i should register and sign up to download software that is only useful if I've already purchased the device is onerous in the extreme, and beyond asinine. Frankly, it's none of their g##d##m business what I do with the devices I own
    + 10^6

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    but WHY ?!
    I'm with Cadtag on this.
    A definite case of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".
    Absolutely, and I quote that to the drafting staff all the time. Sigh.

But just because I find something superfluous for my (or the company's) use, doesn't mean it isn't valuable for someone else.

Before the Nostromo was integrated into the Razer Synapse software, changing computers meant individually re-inserting every macro back into the Nostromo. That's 23 keys X 8 keymaps...

... even more joyful when my work computer needed to be repaired/reformatted TWICE in the same month.

I didn't bother to even plug the Nostromo in the second time. When I finally did a couple of days ago, the Razer Synapse software found it. I didn't have time to configure all the macros at work, so I took it home and created the macros. Before Synapse, I would have had to export all the macros, copy them to my work computer, then import them individually into the software at work. Not today. I plugged in the Nostromo and all my macros were waiting for me.

Now I can go to offline mode, and work away. If I edit my macros, I go back online to back them up and they're there for me if I want to work at home or at another computer here at work (I give it another month before something else fries in this piece of **** "workstation").

That is why, in my case anyway.

Janet

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tekcon13 View Post
    Absolutely, and I quote that to the drafting staff all the time. Sigh.

But just because I find something superfluous for my (or the company's) use, doesn't mean it isn't valuable for someone else.

Before the Nostromo was integrated into the Razer Synapse software, changing computers meant individually re-inserting every macro back into the Nostromo. That's 23 keys X 8 keymaps...

... even more joyful when my work computer needed to be repaired/reformatted TWICE in the same month.

I didn't bother to even plug the Nostromo in the second time. When I finally did a couple of days ago, the Razer Synapse software found it. I didn't have time to configure all the macros at work, so I took it home and created the macros. Before Synapse, I would have had to export all the macros, copy them to my work computer, then import them individually into the software at work. Not today. I plugged in the Nostromo and all my macros were waiting for me.

Now I can go to offline mode, and work away. If I edit my macros, I go back online to back them up and they're there for me if I want to work at home or at another computer here at work (I give it another month before something else fries in this piece of **** "workstation").

That is why, in my case anyway.

Janet
    Okay, sounds like they made that work but, presumably, if there had been a simple way to back-up your macros in the first place, they still wouldn't have needed "the cloud".
    Peace.

Login to Give a bone

Wow I go away for a week and this thread explodes into life.

Could someone who just moved their Nostromo to Synapse please confirm for me 100% that the new software picks up all existing macros, keymaps, profiles and migrates them to Synapse? Or do you have to start again from scratch? I'm scared/don't trust them now as one of the firmware updates wiped everything with no warning either from the software or in the release notes.

Also re M570.
    I now run mine tilted at about 35 degree angle, I use 1.5 packs of blu-tack to make a nice mound that it sits on. Thumb is high. Wrist sits at a natural angle. I have a small oval of paper under the blutack so that it can slide freely, but you can equally stick it down. For what it's worth I used other 1/2 pack blu-tack to tilt my nostromo maybe 10-15 degrees, it's a more natural wrist angle for me with thumbs high rather than flat.

Drafting Pros: I really like the interaction, being able to hit scroll wheel at same time as trackball, and relevant buttons. Faster more agile drafting.
    Cons: Precision and freehand straight line drawing both suffer a bit. Workaround: Scroll in slightly further to pick points than with a mouse.

I use medium-slow pointer speed and with high acceleration and smart snaps to yes/no boxes.

I have also mapped the scroll wheel button to the index finger buttons, which makes the world of difference - single best thing you can do to aid drafting with M570.

I kept my mouse plugged in and beside the trackball for a while, so could switch back every now and then. Found the mouse slow and clunky to go back to, but slightly more precise.

Login to Give a bone

Dave,

I can only comment on something I did once only. I downloaded the Synapse software and did the install.
    It took longer than I expected and don't remember any prompts to say my existing software was being deleted, which it was.
    There is no option to keep the software, the shortcut on my desktop just became a dead link but a new Razer Synapse 2.0 shortcut appeared.
    I launch the Synapse software and filled in the login details, which now appears everytime I turn my PC on (because I never stay logged on) and off it went.

All my profiles are there as are the macros, so, rather than play with the software I saved my profiles to the cloud, then exported everything to a local folder, closed the software and launched Revit.
    The Nostromo did as it is supposed to and all my macros work fine.
    I closed Revit and launched a game (shsshh....not saying which!) and the Nostromo switched profiles just like it is supposed to.

So, based on my experience, apart from being a little slow and not many prompts, it went without a hitch.
    The only caution I can think of is that all the macros are written to the Registry, so don't turn off half way through the install.
    I have all my macros written in an Excel sheet, posted above, but that wouldn't have saved me having to re-programme the Nostromo if it went wrong, games are easy as most commands are a single button click.
    Like you though I would hate to have to start from scratch, so am pleased I didn't have to.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast