See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Window Family plan display issue - Revit 2012

Login to Give a bone

Default Window Family plan display issue - Revit 2012

Please take a look at the attached file called Test Project. This is a dumbed down version of a problem I came across earlier today with a more complex window family.

I've got a wall with two windows which look identical in elevation. I've cut two plans, one at 4' and one at 6'. In one of the windows i can't get the vertical mullion to show up in plan regardless of where i cut and in the other i can't get the mullion to go away regardless of where i cut. the only difference between the two window familes is that in one the vertical mullion is joined to the frame and in the other it isn't. they show up fine in all other views.

It's 3.30 am here so maybe i'm just missing some fundamental issue but this is the first time i've had window families behave this way.

I'm on Revit Architecture 2012.

Edit:

I've attached the original window family that got all this started (Test Project2.) Most of the mullion profiles in this window are made up of sweeps and i can't get them to cut correctly in plan. Much like my question above the family display's correctly in all other views and in the family editor just not once loaded into a project.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by acampusano673336; 2011-06-12 at 08:09 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Window Family plan display issue - Revit 2012

Realized i probably should have just posted pictures.

The crux of my problem is that the windows look fine in elevation and 3D views, but do not seem to show correctly in plan. Everything looks fine in the family editor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Okay. So I've figured out where i went wrong. This post: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=114039 got me thinking in the right direction.

At some point as I was creating the window family (Pic of family editor attached.) I renamed the Ref. Level plan view to Ref. Level - High, duplicated the view and called it Ref. Level - Low. It was helpful to have to views set to different cut planes while making the window family. This worked as expected in the family editor, unfortunately when the window gets loaded into a project it takes it's cut plane elevation not from the cut plane elevation set in the view range of the host project but by the cut plane value set in the family editor specifically for the Ref. Level view. Since i had two ref. levels it was a little random about which one it chose to pick, but it chose my Ref. Level - Low.

All it took to fix was to go back to family editor and set the Ref. Level - Low cut plane elevation to a level where it would cut the window correctly and reload back into the project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Glad you got it figured out, and thanks so much for posting/illustrating. I'm sure it will help others in the future who may have similar issues.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

This problem is bugging me more and more.
    i'm having the same problems as every one, but what if you have a window that has vertical mullions on different places, when you would have a cutplane then it would show the window as is in the family but i don't want that!! i want it to cut according to the cut plane not some reference in the family, this is very important if your making component sheets where you have several plan views to show where the mullion is on which height. also when you have windows that go over multiple levels and for example in the lower part there is turning window and in the upper part only glass then on level 0 (base) you would see it correctly and if you have a plan view of level 1 then it would show the window as is in level 0 which is wrong!!!!
    i had all these problem a few times and couldn't get a work around.

my main question is why the h*** does revit use the family cut plane instead of the true cut plane(it would be awsome to have the same option as in structural columns where you can set the cutplane of the family or choose to do a true cut).
    does anyone know why it views windows as it does and doesn't do a true cut. I can't imagine that I'm the only one having these problems and these questions.

Kind regards,
    Duke Cermak

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi, I hope this will help you. Please refer to image below and try to play the view range of Ref.Level in the family editor. and reload it back to the project.
    WINDOW FAMILY VS PLAN VIEW.PNG
    WINDOW FAMILY VS PLAN VIEW 2.PNG

thitmonsun
    Last edited by thit.mon.sun126009; 2013-03-19 at 01:53 AM.