Thread: Lookup Tables (I must be missing something)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I could stop if I wanted to Dr._House's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Lookup Tables (I must be missing something)

Okay. I am trying to make a family (this is just a test family for me to learn from) That uses the number in the Control Parameter to Adjust the Dimensions in the width, length, and height of my cube using a lookup table. I have the path to the lookup tables right in the .ini file and have the Tivis.csv name in the Lookup Table Name.

This is where I think I'm going wrong. I'm using this formula:

text_file_lookup(LookupTableName,LookupColumn,DefaultIfNotFound,LookupValue)

so I have:

text_file_lookup(Lookup Table Name, "RY", 0' 6", Control)

To me that says It'll look in the RY Column and the resulting "control number" Row and report back the dimension I have listed. If it can't find that the width will be 6". Am I right?? I can only get the 6" simension and I can't get it to pull the info out of the column.

Please Help!! lol

I uploaded my Family and the XLSX version of my CSV file since I can't upload CSV files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Lookup Tables (I must be missing something)

It's interesting, I now have it working.. but it's taking my Control number as the actual "row number" not the number from Column A.. Also, it's only working on the Even numbers?? weird.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (274.0 KB, 67 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (277.4 KB, 47 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (259.3 KB, 36 views)

Forum Username Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Try using only intergers for the "Control" value instead of feet and inches as you currently have so it exactly matches what is available for lookup in column A (units and format) OR change column A to match the input units and format of "Control"

If Control = 1' 0" then column A should be 1' 0"
    if Column A = 2 then Control should be 2

text_file_lookup(Lookup Table Name, "RY", 0' 6", Control)

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply Stadtler!

I do that, and I get the "inconsistant units" error.

Login to Give a bone

I found the multiply by 1 trick, and it allowed the error to go away, but I still only get it to pull from every other row (Evens, not odds)

Forum Username Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Ok, I took a closer look at things (haven't worked with families for a while). I just looked at this problem - i didn't fire up MEP but this should work.

1. Make sure the CSV file column headings are complete and correct. "RY" should read "RY##length##feet"
    2. Column A is NOT used to retrieve information - place the contents (top row to be blank) in the format you want the program to display (for example, a pipe fitting may have "2x2x2" shown) - in your case you may want 1' 0" etc... instead of 1 etc..
    3. You will need to have a column named "Control##length##feet". This is the column you want to search to match you sizes - typically this "lookup" column is Column B (or in the case of the pipe fitting above there will be multiple columns, B, C, and D)
    3. Once you fix your CSV file, it should operate correctly.

see attached.

Login to Give a bone

OK, so.. I decided to give a try at making the "actual" part that my Company wants me to make. It's a 90 Degree Long Radius Elbow. So I made the 3D Elemnet and Parameters. I used "Pipe Size" as the Parameter Type in the the Part and "<name>##length##inches" in the csv file (modeled after a PVC Elbow that comes with Revit MEP). I am looking to work with 3 columns in my csv file. Column B is "ND" which acts as a reference, Column C is "OD" for the Outer Diameter and Column D is "LRad" for Long Radius.

For an example I'm typing in:

text_file_lookup(Lookup Table Name,"OD",Default OD,ND)

and I get "Invalid Input" when I use it. I really don't get it LOL.. I could have used a series of IF formulas and been done already. I really want this to work, but this is driving me crazy.

Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Ok, so now no matter WHAT lookup file I try to make or reference I now get the Invalid Input error.. is there a way to turn off 2-way communication in revit or something.. It just seems like it's not communicating at all.

I made sure the File Path was right in the .ini file under the Program Files directory, is there any other places I have to look??

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I just started working with lookup tables this week and am having the same issue. I've found at least three other threads started with the same issue and nobody has responded... I'm working in Revit MEP 2012, does anybody know why this "invalid input" error keeps coming up? I can't get a simple lookup to work for the life of me.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mlubovich446813 View Post
    I just started working with lookup tables this week and am having the same issue. I've found at least three other threads started with the same issue and nobody has responded... I'm working in Revit MEP 2012, does anybody know why this "invalid input" error keeps coming up? I can't get a simple lookup to work for the life of me.
    Hy, I ´m starting to use Revit MEP lookup tables, and i have the same probles, and spend hours searching for an answer on the web, but no help, somebody fond anything?! thanks a lot

Matias