Thread: creating road level

Login to Give a bone

Default creating road level

Dear all,

We are working on the master plan of this 500 acres campus . We want to use civil 3d for the same. We already have made the 3d model from the NEZ points.
    Now we want to take a step further and alter the contours to create the final formation levels of the various plots on the campus, also create levels for the roads. We dont know how to begin, can you help?

Thanks,
    Annie

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: creating road level

Civil3D is new to me, just rolling out where I work and been on 4 days of training last month so there may be others on this forum that may be able to help in more detail.

I'd start by creating alignments both horizontally and vertically for all of the roads and apply assemblies to them to get the core road network in place. I would then add some feature lines around the boundary or other areas where there are few or no roads and then create a surface of the all of this. You can then do a volume calculation to determine the cut and fill balance.

Once I'd done this first pass and looked at the cut/fill balance I go back and edit the road vertical alignments and / or add other feature lines to control the proposed site levels until I got the surface and / or the cut/fill where I needed it.

Hope that helps

Ian

Login to Give a bone

The thing I'd add to this is that you don't want to do a cut/fill balance against the final proposed levels. You need to adjust the road surfaces and other surfaces to formation levels otherwise the true cut and fill will be incorrect.

Login to Give a bone

Neil...I agree. I'd move on to formation levels in the second pass. I always do a quick cut fill on the finished surface at the start to see if I'm in the same ball park before I start to finesse the levels.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: creating road level

If you are using corridors then it is very easy to derive the formation surface and run a cut/fill balance against this and the dynamic updates when tweaking the horizontal alignment or vertical profile are a huge timesaver.

If you are not using corridors e.g creating development platforms then running cut/fill against formation level is a bit more involved....