Thread: AIA NCS4 Architectural Layers

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default AIA NCS4 Architectural Layers

We are currently working on a project which requires us to use layers based on the National CAD Standards (Ver. 4.0). After goingthrough the standards, we are in a bit of a dilemma regarding the layering system that has to be followed for Sections, Elevations and Details -

1. Can we follow the same architectural layers in the Section as used in the Floor Plans? For example, can we use "A-WALL-FULL" from the plans for the section layers? If a wall is getting cut in the section, what layer name would be ideal for it - A-WALL-SECT or A-WALL-MCUT or A-SECT-MCUT? Can section or elevation layers be based on building component rather than view type?,
    2. What is the difference between A-SECT and A-SECT-MCUT? Where can we use A-SECT-MCUT?
    3. How can we show multiple elements at different distances from the cutting plane in Sections and Elevations? Does this require to have a modifier along with the A-SECT and A-ELEV nomenclature? Can we add numeric minor groups like A001 from A999 to differentiate between elements shown in elevation or sections?,
    4. Can a element shown in elevation in the section drawing type have a layer name starting A-ELEV instead of A-SECT?

Earliest response would be infinitely appreciated:

Thanks and Regards,

Johny

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AIA NCS4 Architectural Layers

Hi Johny,
    You've just realized what I've figured out a long time ago. The NCS is written so poorly with so many options, if/then's that it's a real pain to figure out.
    The first thing I do when the NCS is mention is "Who's version are we using" We've done quite a bit of Gov. work lately and have found out that each branch seems to have their own version of the NCS. While most layering conventions were similar, colors, linetypes and ltscales were all a little different. So make sure you know which one to follow.
    As for your questions, I believe that if you call the drawing a detail, you need to use detl layers, if you call it a section, you need to use the sect layers. At least that's how I've always read it. The Mcut one is where I start to get confused.
    Sorry I'm of little help, but IMHO, the NCS was an idea by someone who really wanted to make a bunch of money for a poorly written document and poorly done content. Just my 2 cents.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The key thing to remember about the NCS is that it is a GUIDE and is not necessarily expected to be followed verbatum. You're going to need to massage YOUR standard as needed. Use what works for you and don't use what doesn't. Just be consistent!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    ...the NCS was an idea by someone who really wanted to make a bunch of money for a poorly written document and poorly done content. Just my 2 cents.
    Dave, for the record the NCS wasn't developed by a single person who had a good idea...or bad depending on who you ask. If you research the NCS, you'll realize that the ones making the decisions are actually multiple committees made up of many users like you and me. If you're not happy with the results, you could always volunteer to participate, or reach out to members of the appropriate committees to have your ideas considered in the future.

For the record I'm not a member of any NCS committee, but I know someone who is and can tell you that there are many hours of deliberation that have gone into the NCS. It may not meet everyone's unique needs, but it's a start for many

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Misteracad View Post
    Dave, for the record the NCS wasn't developed by a single person who had a good idea...or bad depending on who you ask. If you research the NCS, you'll realize that the ones making the decisions are actually multiple committees ...
    That reminds me ... I was doing a contract for a UK-based multinational energy supplier and (though I forget why) I decided to compare their company standards for telecommunication symbols with the British Standard for the same. The two sets of standards were very different - surprising, since the company was listed as being a member of the relevant British Standard's committee.

"Don't do as I do, do as I say."

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    That reminds me ... I was doing a contract for a UK-based multinational energy supplier and (though I forget why) I decided to compare their company standards for telecommunication symbols with the British Standard for the same. The two sets of standards were very different - surprising, since the company was listed as being a member of the relevant British Standard's committee.
    Surprising indeed