Thread: Is there an anologue to the CAD "from" command in Revit?

Login to Give a bone

Default Is there an anologue to the CAD "from" command in Revit?

Is there an anologue to the CAD "from" command in Revit? For instance i was moving a drawer model back and forth yesterday, and needed to moke sure it was 2" from a wall. I ended up moving it up to the wall and the moving it again the 2" so that it was the required distance off of the wall. In CAD i'd begin the move command click my base point, type in from click the wall and then enter in 2" as my offset. What i'm wondering is if there's a similar process that can be done in Revit.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is there an anologue to the CAD "from" command in Revit?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like this is possible. I thought maybe Offset might be available as an option when placing a component but it is not.

Login to Give a bone

You can use the temp dims like this to move an object. The problem is sometimes the temp dims have a mind of their own and dimension to the wrong stuff. You can however move the witness lines to whare you want to make the measurements and then use the dimension value to move the object. Might be a few extra clicks but is probably faster than moving the object against the wall and then moving it away again.

Login to Give a bone

Actually I think it's faster to align the object to the wall and then move it away. Not counting keystrokes (keyboard shortcuts for the Align command and Move command) it's only 4 clicks.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Actually I think it's faster to align the object to the wall and then move it away. Not counting keystrokes (keyboard shortcuts for the Align command and Move command) it's only 4 clicks.
    UNnless the temp dim is already going to the right points. Never seems to be for me.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you know you'll be setting things relative to a particular feature (wall face, opening center or edge) you can set the temp dims to snap to those to save a few clicks. Temp dims are the approach I'd probably use.
    I always try to look ahead when placing these items too. If you have bunch of them and they'll all be a set distance from something then lace one, locate it and then copy using the base point rather than placing each one then moving afterward.