Thread: trying to import site plan "Data exceeding that range will be truncated"

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default trying to import site plan "Data exceeding that range will be truncated"

I am trying to import a dwg site plan into Revit. Whether I use Link CAD or Import CAD I get the same error, "Geometry in dwg file xxx.dwg has extents greater than 1E9 in AutoCAD units. Data exceeding that range will be truncated. Click OK to continue, Cancel to exit import."

I click OK, and only some tiny little lines are visible if I zoom WAYYY in. If I select them, a large bounding box appears apparently showing the extent of the dwg, but none of the lines are visible.

I have tried exporting from autocad as a DXF and in R14 versions with exactly the same results.

I have tried importing with Import units set to Auto-Detect and to millimeters (as the DWG was drawn in).

What to do? Any suggestions?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: trying to import site plan "Data exceeding that range will be truncated"

Revit has a boundary of something like 2kilometres (or is it 20?)...if the survey is really large it will spit the dummy at you. I have had this on a few survey plans where there is alot of scope outside (generally road alignments etc) shown in the survey...none of this really matters to your building site (unless you are doing all of the civil works outside too?)

What you need to do is chop the survey down to cover just your site or if you must just some of the surrounds. I usually just put a box around it in cad, trim it all back and delete any points outside the area (make sure all layers are on) Save the file as something else so you dont over-write your original survey...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: trying to import site plan "Data exceeding that range will be truncated"

Quote Originally Posted by karalon10 View Post
    Revit has a boundary of something like 2kilometres (or is it 20?)...if the survey is really large it will spit the dummy at you. I have had this on a few survey plans where there is alot of scope outside (generally road alignments etc) shown in the survey...none of this really matters to your building site (unless you are doing all of the civil works outside too?)

What you need to do is chop the survey down to cover just your site or if you must just some of the surrounds. I usually just put a box around it in cad, trim it all back and delete any points outside the area (make sure all layers are on) Save the file as something else so you dont over-write your original survey...
    You are exactly right! Thank you so much.